Lathe/milling machin combo for metalwork

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WisJim, Nov 5, 2004.

1. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I am considering getting a better metal working lathe, as all I have now is an old small well-worn Atlas/Craftsman, and I find that I could use something larger in a lathe (for turning metal) and also a milling machine would be nice. Does anyone have any experience with the combination machines like the "Smithy"? I see a number of other similar machines also. I was also looking at the drill/mill machines instead of an actual milling machine.
    Any comments will be appreciated.

Jim

2. lynxpilot

lynxpilot New Member

My first post here, woohoo!

Anyway, I've always found THIS website to be more than enough on questions about home machining and other fabrication type subjects. Real friendly crowd too. Hope this helps.

Dave

3. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I've never used a Smithy. They look well built, but they are tiny. I think it really limits your work, unless you are only doing tiny work.

Years ago I got a CNC Jr, built on a mill drill machine like everyone sells. The factory had put in ballscrews and a controller for CNC. I run it with an old 386 computer. I ran that thing for 10-12 hours daily for years with no problems except a bad switch. It has standard R8 tooling. My biggest piece was 22" X 5.5", about 1/4" less than max capacity. I wouldn't be scared of getting a manual mill-drill machine. They have plenty of mass for their size. You'll need several very good, very large friends to help you get it up on your stand.

For a lathe, I have an old South Bend 10" that I got pretty cheap years ago.