latest ripening apple variety for the south

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by warrior, Dec 9, 2005.

1. warrior

warrior Well-Known Member

I would like to find an apple variety that ripens in late Oct or on into Nov. Quality and use (well maybe one that hangs well on the tree) are of no concern as I want them for wildlife plantings (deer). I know that Northern Spy is one of the later varieties but I need one for the south (central to south Alabama) and I understand that the spy won't do down here. The majority of apples grown here are "june" apples that ripen and are gone long before fall. A crab apple would do as well. So far the only fruit that holds that late for us (that I am aware of) is certain strains of keiffer pear and some quince. Deer will eat the pear but not as readily as apples and refuse to touch the quince. An heirloom variety that can fend for itself would be a definite plus.

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Fuji and Arkansas Black's are later apples... I'm not sure of amount of chill hours required though. Arkansas Black is supposed to be pretty disease resistant. Both do well here in northern Arkansas.

Stark Brothers (http://www.starkbros.com/index.jsp) has a nice assortment of apples and lists the zones they do best in. (and are a good nursery) Example, the Fuji does best in zones 6 - 8.

Pat

3. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

One of the members of the forum is a commercial nurseryman growing heirloom southern apples. check out their website - Vintage Virginia Apples. They can probably make some excellent southern recommendations for you.

www.vintagevirginiaapples.com

BW

4. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter