later potatoes ?

Discussion in 'Home Gardens, Market Gardens, and Commercial Crops' started by rickfrosty, Mar 19, 2017.

1. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.
    Hello, someone explained the benefits of planting spuds later than the norm, but I immediately lost contact with them and realized my pots would be completely gone to long sprouts if I waited much of any time at all to plant them .
    Question is how can they be kept a bit longer without getting wasted by all the big sprouts ?

2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

refrigeration

3. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

38 degrees F. and a 90% humidity level in a dark storage facility with air circulation. Dig the fall potatoes for storage at the latest possible date to gain some time. Cure them before putting them into deep storage, room temperature, very shaded light--again 90 % humidity for a week to two weeks.. Use long season potatoes like russets, which have a longer dormancy period.

Very few home conditions will match this--next best is a root cellar with high humidity level and air circulation. Next best is in a buried clotche in the garden. I think it is best to break off the extra long sprouts and hope the other eyes will develop into usable sprouts.

geo