late strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suburbanite, Oct 4, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I just had a very nice surprise of some late strawberries off my Eversweets. Big, beautiful berries, too! But one of them, when I turned it over, had a perfectly round hole in it the size of a dime, as if someone had taken a 1/2 inch drill bit to it. Snails, you think?

Anyway, I finished breakfast with fresh strawberries in yogurt with honey. :)

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

snails, ants and rolly pollies i think. i have the same trouble with mine and someone suggested trying coffee grounds.

don't you just love having strawberries late in the season? it seems like i am cheating or something. :)

3. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I have been picking red raspberries, but strawberries sounds so wonderful, too. the hole sounds like a sludge was at it. I have found them inside the hole. you know what is worse than finding a sludge in a strawberry? finding half of one. this of course applies to apples and worms too..

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    meloc, yes, it does seem like cheating to get ripe berries in October when everyone else is turning over soil for winter. It also seems like cheating to get spinach in January, which is normal for zone 9b.

Tab--I ate a slug-berry a couple of weeks ago and proceeded to vomit up my entire dinner. Ik!