Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having a slow start to the season? I just put the buck in with the does hoping to throw him into rut or them into heat. He's a young guy, 11 months, attentive but not yet splashing in the cologne. The does are not impressed. By this time last year everyone was bred with at least two distinct cycles. Nothing so far this year. :bored:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My does are all in heat. Got rid of my mature Billy and have two 10 month old males. One is fired up. The other is not. But he is the one I want to breed then with. So I hope he sparks up soon. But I usually breed in October so I get an early spring birth so they aren't born in the dead of Winter.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
I have 11 does bred here already, for Dec & early Jan kidding. All the ruckus started in July!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Not really slow...but weird. Both boys were crazy in rut early...like MARCH! thru about July. Now it is much less obvious. I assume that it has to do with summer finally getting here! It has been so hot for about 3 weeks and before it was unseasonably cool. The girls have shown no interest at all. Sept. 1 is just a couple of days away and that is THE day for us...maybe when they get together...?

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
My bucks have been peeing on themselves for 2 months but no does' in heat here yet either. I don't usually breed until November anyways but was thinking of starting a little earlier this year but we'll see.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well my buck doesnt smell to bad yet but, he has been after the 5 does he is in with this will be my early kidding's then i have 3 youngsters for nov, then i have my 4 milkers i am milking so if they all take i should have around 12 does for kidding early winter though spring,, I have a young Togg buckling that i bought the beggining of the year and he is large and ready to take on the world ,, till he got in with the milkers yesterday and they informed him that he was just a young pup and put him in his place lol,, trying to space them out alittle this time it get's kinda stressful kidding out that many does with out much help ,, but i do love them and i will have them as long as i can .

·
Registered
714 Posts
Way early does flagging. Bucks weren't particularly interested then. Turned them in with the girls two evenings ago for late January kidding. Lots of love in the pasture now.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
NOthing happening here, although I could have sworn the weedeater goats next door were lip flapping and trying to lure them over a couple weeks ago (thought maybe they were starting).
Got alittle buckling in, but he looks more like he wants to nurse than do anything else when he gets close to the does (he spends more time with the wether)...

·
Registered
337 Posts
When i went out to feed yesterday i was met by a very fragrant buck he has just started to smell in the last week ,so things must be heating up out there lol,, and i saw one od my doelings from this year flagging her tail at him through the fence as well ,, good thing he is such a good boy, since he is a large alpine boy. I have had goats for over 16 years and couldn't live with out them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This is my first time trying to breed goats, but I am not noticing much yet. I am about to be a new parent and am managing a new job, so I know I am not going to be able to time breeding correctly this time around. Plus, I am not sure I would be able to tell a goat in heat from a goat that isn't. A couple days ago I put my buck and wether in the with the girls and I am just hoping that nature takes its course.

However, I have my doubts. My buckling is something like 5.5 months old and has always been very skittish.

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Nothing here yet, but that's fine with me. I'm not planning to let anyone breed until late October or early November. I had does kidding in early March this year and our winter lasted a long time after that...I like the babies to be able to go outside and eat dandelions, not have to cuddle up in the barn to keep warm.

My buck is only 5 months old, so I'm hoping he won't have a major stinky rut this year.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
we have only visually seen a couple bred, a few I think my lil dude was just too young to figure it out but left him with them for the weekend. He can come stay a few days with my stinkers and get the point quickly... Your welcome to use anyone I have if he doesnt figure it out, have a nice Kismet buck here as well as my Jacobs Pride buck and a couple home breds.

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we have only visually seen a couple bred, a few I think my lil dude was just too young to figure it out but left him with them for the weekend. He can come stay a few days with my stinkers and get the point quickly... Your welcome to use anyone I have if he doesnt figure it out, have a nice Kismet buck here as well as my Jacobs Pride buck and a couple home breds.
Thank you, Cannon. Dude has got it all figured out and working hard to persuade the does. There's been a whole lot of bellering, tongue wagging, snorting and stink the last two days. And he's like white on rice, waiting for the right moment. His little buddy, Mack, is completely clueless. Which is fine, he'll get a turn next year. I think we will successfully achieve early Feb. babies!

D

·
0 Posts
The bucks have just enough aroma to be noticable for the last few weeks. No signs from the does yet. Also no mounting, circling, flagging or washing yet. But last year was December before I saw anything so the signs are earlier this year for me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts