Homesteading Forum banner

late developing testes?

686 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Thumper/inOkla. 
#1 ·
I had a buck that seemed to take forever for his testes to drop. think it's a genetic disorder, because of the offspring, I thought I had seperated the does and bucks, but found some dead kits over a couple day span...meaning I have at least 1 buck in with them does!

I did another rub-down, and think I have the offender singled out.

Do you think this will affect those does ability to kindle in the future? I'm afraid that first time experience will make bad mothers out of them. Heck, I have one that refuses to use a box, and builds her nest on either side of it, and she was one of the victims of my confusion.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
SueD said:
"Brothers and sisters" if kept together from birth will not breed, either, nor will they usually fight. (In fact... if you keep males and females together, even if you TRY to breed them, it will take several weeks of being seperate before they will - in a cage situation, anyway.)

I'm sure there could be a problem with testicles not dropping, any animal can have that problem, but are you sure you are not talking about a female with an ovary problem? THey can manifest in similar ways. (check for a penis, not testicles...)
I take it that you either have a warren or are housing several does in one large cage? I would start by getting everyone into their own space. Its impossible to keep records well enough to determine the real problem if everyone is all together - at least for now.

Sue
Sue, I am not sure if you read what I posted the way I think I posted it...It could have been my delivery, I sometimes THINK I'm saying something and my fingers type something else :haha:

Anyway, I have to disagree with your theory...bros and sisters WILL mate with each other. Proof was in the pudding. the hutch that was supposed to be all does produced a series of 4-5 dead kits over a period of 2-3 days. That means someone was getting frisky with someone else. Upon further examination, the 3rd doe was actually a buck, whose testes had not dropped. There was the sack, but no testes, they were still up yonder, and he was eveidenatly VERY fertile.

When I moved the does and buck to seperate locations, I had thought that each of the does had given birth at the same time, since it was over the course of 2-3 days, so I didn't think to put a nest box in the new hutch. One of the does, obvioulsy was still pregnant, because I found a pitiful lot of kits in the trappings of hair, but no nest. She never did accept the nest I made for her and the kits eventually died.

I guess what I originally was asking was if anyone else had the same teste problem, and if it was genetic or not....my main concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.