Last year 210 motorists were killed in collisions with animals

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Nov 22, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

2. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

It's time to outlaw deer :haha:

Bob

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

now this is funny, I hear on the Radio ALL THE TIME on how you need to drive "safe" in a contrution zone to protect the workers! because OMG!! so many contrution workers get killed a year, it is soo much of a problem!!

...and how the dunk drivers will kill 1 in 4 people every year! psst!:haha:
    OMG Are you going to let little Tommy die?

YOU CAN LEARN A LOT FROM A DUMMY, BUCKLE UP!:haha:

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I first saw this story on the internet about a week ago. My first thought is that some government entity is laying the groundwork for something. I don't know what, maybe deer birth control. I've seen a lot of mv/deer and mv/moose collisions, I believe at least half of them could have been avoided simply by the driver being aware of what was going on around them, i.e. "gee, there's a deer on the side of the road up ahead. Maybe I should slow down."

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I don't know about other people's situations, but the deer we hit just popped out out of nowhere. He wasn't "up ahead", he was suddenly right by the truck, then in front of it, then BOOM.

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I didn't say all. Sure there are unavoidable collisions such as yours where the animal comes streaking out into the road. I'm only saying that there are a lot of them that could be avoided :)

7. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

If peta got their way and stopped deer hunting for just 2 years, can you imagine how many more deer would be running around! :eek:
    Steve

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My daughters swear I lured the deer that hit us onto the road by singing "Surely Goodness" one time too many!

9. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

I confess, what is the point of the post? Yes, people hit animals on the road..so? I know that people kill a lot more people than anything else. What do we do about that? Maybe the deer should do the driving? LOL

By the way, there are highways where the planners actually used their brains and made underpasses on heavily traveled wild animal routes that cross highways...why don't we push for more of these? That's just the major highways though. When you are on secondary roads and you know there is a chance a large, heavy, frightened animal might jump out in front of you maybe less speed would be good? IT's just russian roulette if you choose not to slow down. Ya takes yer chances..... ;)

LQ

10. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

I kid you not ,2 or 3 days ago ,someone I know well hit 2 deer on the SAME day ,2 diffrent vehicles ,both new trucks ,one was at 80 kph and one at 100kph .
    The deer didnt make it .

I declare open season on deer (and any other animals that like the human habitat for that matter ) with a flourescent painball gun .That way you could see them at night .