Last of our lambing!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Snomama, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Snomama

Snomama Well-Known Member

*whew* Glad it is FINALLY over! I say finally b/c all the other lambs were born over a month ago, one ewe just seemed to be hanging on and then I realized our yearling also had gotten bred :rolleyes:

We got home from being out of town for 4 days Sunday night. Went out to check the animals and heard a sheep making weird noises, shone the light on her and our yearling was lambing! They are purebred Jacobs.

[​IMG]
    Here is Tootsie and her lamb Pepper, a ewe.

THEN.....last night when the girls went out to do their evening chores they called me outside b/c our ewe was FINALLY delivering! She is a JacobxCheviot cross bred to a pure Jacob
    [​IMG]
    Here is momma and her babies
    [​IMG]
    ewe lamb
    [​IMG]
    ram lamb

That brings us to 5 ewes and 3 rams from our original flock of 5 ewes, not bad! Plus we have been given three Jacob bottle ewes over the lambing season too. We had two sets of twins and a set of triplets, but lost one from the set of twins (born dead) and one from the set of triplets (?).

Overall we are very pleased :)

We should have baby goats in June AND Pyrenees puppies too!!!! :D

Melissa

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Those are some wild spots you got there.

I know what you mean about it being nice to be over...ours are finished as well. Funny how months of anticipation can wear a person out before the job is even finished, isn't it???

3. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Congrats, on your new babies. I raise Jacobs as well and I sure do love to see what combination of spots and patches are going to show up on the lambs.

I'm still waiting for a few more to lamb. I had 34 lambs born from 22 ewes last week. My rams got right to work when I put them in with the ewes. :) Waiting on 9 more ewes, I expect to see a couple more lambs when I check the barn in a few minutes, nothing at 2:00 and 4:00AM but one of my older girls was showing signs.

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Soooo....?????
    Polly! Are you still awake...? :D

Any new babies? The suspense is giving me a rash....lol

5. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Beautiful pictures.

I've got one lamb I need to double check the sex. I thought a ewe but it's behavior makes me think ram. For now the lambs are.....3 ewes, 1 ram.

The lastest ewe lamb may already be sold. I'm keeping the rest, unless that one ends up a ram then I'll have to cull or sell that one. Culling for the freezer locker truly has given us a deeper appreciation for the food we eat.