Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew I was tired, I just did not realize HOW tired I was until I got up this morning and my glasses were not there! I did eventually find them, in the bathroom next to the tub. Most people like showers but I think there is nothing like a tub for soaking tired muscles. I was just so tired I did not realize I left my glasses behind, even though I don't see very well without them.

I am not ready for winter. Most of it can be done in short spells of work, but some of it needs to be done in one large chunk, such as putting the greenhouse cover on. There is not much point in getting the cover half on and then calling it a day, because the wind will catch that cover like a big ol' sail, and if you are not lucky it will end up at your neighbor's place instead of at your's. So, last night I worked until I could not see any longer, and I got almost all of the cover fastened down. It is still on this morning so I guess I got enough of it fastened on.

Thank heavens for that, as putting the cover on is not something I want to do twice!

So, I have another day's worth of work dealing with just the plastic, and then I can do the fun part of moving the plants in. I also need to put a door on, but that can actually wait a bit and I *WANT* to go to the plant store. I have been looking forward to that for weeks. I am HOPING they have parsley left, and perhaps some cabbages, though cabbages might be too much to hope for.

I did HAVE some cabbages in a large pot all ready to be moved in, along with some other things, but then the cabbages all died and it took me the LONGEST time to figure out why! As it turns out, my cat has been taking naps in that particular pot, but I did not catch him at it until all the cabbage seedlings were dead. So, if I am lucky, I can buy young cabbages at the nursery.

He looks so HAPPY, sleeping in the sun on top of that pot, the stinker!

Whatever.

I expect I will have to be satisfied with whatever the nursery has left, if they have anything at all. Since my greenhouse is not heated, the cold shuts everything down in January. So it is too late to start more cabbage seedlings now.

I do have potted beets (for greens), and also it is also possible to start radishes and transplant green onions, but unless I can buy seedlings there will be no cabbages harvested from the greenhouse until spring.

DH wants fresh parsley for a garnish for his dish at the church Thanksgiving pot luck in 2 day's time, and there isn't any in the stores. So I think that I will hit the nursery today, even though I do not yet have a hole in the plastic for the doorway. Who knows, perhaps they have parsley plants left! I daresay I can baby the plants along until I can get into the greenhouse. The weather right now is frosty, and I can take bought plants inside before hard freezes.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
After the cataract surgery surgery....I lose mine all the time.....mostly on the top of my head.
But it really changed my life.

Reactions: MoBookworm1957

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the cataract surgery surgery....I lose mine all the time.....mostly on the top of my head.
But it really changed my life.
That is good to hear, as I am going to have cataract surgery myself within the next year.

I ended up being able to buy plants of parsley, sage, fennel, and chives. I also bought mint. Alas, there were no cabbage plants to be had: I will have to buy my cabbage until next spring.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
That is good to hear, as I am going to have cataract surgery myself within the next year.

I ended up being able to buy plants of parsley, sage, fennel, and chives. I also bought mint. Alas, there were no cabbage plants to be had: I will have to buy my cabbage until next spring.
Easy and worth it...
Takes 13 minutes.....plus 1 hour with eyedrops...
Fantastic....

Good to hear you found at least some plants....
Up here,... not many want to run heet in their greenhouses in the winter.

Reactions: MoBookworm1957

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I grew fennel for the first time this year.
got the seeds dried and all.
My question is do I dig up bulb?
Or will it over winter in ground?

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never raised fennel before: the plant I just bought is my first fennel plant ever! All I know is, the seeds taste good in pizza sauce!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts