largest litter

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ltcc, Jun 9, 2004.

1. ltcc

ltcc Member

I am wondering what the largest litter size anyone has had and had all live breeding a Californian and New Zealand? We had a litter born 3 weeks ago and there were 15 kits in it. Is this not a huge amount of babies. This doe has had 3 other litters averaging 6 - 10 babies. Why would her litter sizes be going up so high? Same pair as always. All kits are alive and healthy. Could her litter sizes still go up? Please help if you can.

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

8-12 is normal for my Cals and NZ but 15 is not unheard of.
    As far as why, was there more then one breeding? Rabbits ovulate after breeding and can concieve in both tubes.

Always a good idea [like I have said a million times before] is to breed more then 1 doe at a time so if you have a large litter you can foster some of the kits to a doe with a smaller litter. This will even out the litters and you will get more uniform growth rates. Larger litters grow a bit slower then smaller litters so evening them out makes financial sense.

3. ltcc

ltcc Member

She was not the only doe with kits I also have 2 others with kits born that same day. One with 8 kits and one with 10 kits. And no she wasn't bred twice we have never had to do it more than once with her.

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

So you had 33 kits total divided by 3 does, each doe would have had 11 kits to raise. Nice size liiters and even growth rates.