Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a couple we visit,they get every Cat they can from the Shelter.Even have a very large Heated Building for some of them.To me its a little on the ridiculous side,I would say they have at least 100.

Ok I like a Cat or two for Pets.But when do you get to the point where animals are no longer Pets and you can't give them the care and attention they really need?

big rockpile

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Largest Cat House Around sure is a catchy title only to be talking about housing felines.

Perhaps they have a hidden fattening process and ship the fatted ones off to slaughter. Some cultures still have a few people that consider cat to be quite good.

As a matter of fact Cat House Feeders of Shields, Kansas is listed on this page approximately 2/3rd of the way down under the category of Light Manufacturing/Area Feedlots http://lanecolibrary.info/digh6.html

Cat House Feeders used to have a recreational area, no joke. I think it is still in business but no longer listed under recreation. Their old telephone directory listing gave the address as The Red Light District Shields, Kansas. While there was a pond and other amenities I can assure you that there was never any ladies of the evening to be had there. Well now that I say that I really don't have any first hand knowledge of that. I just know the folk and those that go to the recreation area.

Sorry about getting from one cat house topic to another.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
I agree with you BR. I never thought I would agree that you could have too many cats. I've had them all my life. Sometimes 3 or 4, sometimes twenty something. But I've never been through what I've been through these past few months. My females were having litters one after another and I was having pretty good success giving the kittens away. But enough were still around that my numbers were going up. I didn't have any money to get my females fixed. Then over a few weeks period, my little kittens started dying. The latest we buried two days ago. I have only one 8-week old kitten left. The other six of it's littermates all died among kittens from other litters. Never been through anything like it before in my life. Very depressing.

Right now I have 5 mama females (one I finally managed to save up money to have it fixed), I have 6 four-month olds, 2 Toms (one that was fixed a long time ago). All my other toms were chased away by other males that had come courting my females. So my numbers are down right now but chances are my females will get pregnant again before I can ever afford to get them fixed.

My point is my vet and another vet I had to see once when my vet was on vacation, both said that I need to pick out 1 or 2 cats that I love the most and have the rest either put to sleep or take to the pound (which I think is just a longer road to being put to sleep). I was horrified. These cats are part of my family. But deep down I know he's right. I can't afford to take care of these cats properly. My male (the one that's been fixed) is so ill and has lost so much weight and I keep hoping every payday that I can set back enough to take him to the vet. I don't want to ever see another litter of kittens again in my life and see them die like I've just been through. But I have 4 mama cats who could be pregnant right now for all I know.

I've been putting ads in the paper trying to give the older kittens away but no one seems to want them. I'm trying to get up the courage to take the lot of my cats, except for a couple, and have them put to sleep...but that is so hard for me to do. :Bawling:

So I am very anti having too many animals if you can't take care of them in every way.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
I think there are some areas that have a shortage of cats, areas with really good spay/nueter programs. You may be able to find a humane society that would take your cats.

·
None of the Above
1,742 Posts
I have been overrun with cats before. Never again!
Cats are cool in there own arrogent sort of way.
One or two and that's fine.
I think the best wartime weapon would be to load a ICBM
with USED cat litter and launch it at the enemy and they would give up
hands down!! End of conflict!

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
big rockpile said:
There is a couple we visit,they get every Cat they can from the Shelter.Even have a very large Heated Building for some of them.To me its a little on the ridiculous side,I would say they have at least 100.

Ok I like a Cat or two for Pets.But when do you get to the point where animals are no longer Pets and you can't give them the care and attention they really need?

big rockpile
Moderation in all things is the key, I think. Maybe these folks don't want to see the kitties put down, and I can definitely understand that. However, my mama once told me that you can't cry for all the kittens and puppies in the world who don't find a home, love, companionship. If you think about it you will go crazy. I don't like to think about the 6 million cats and dogs that are euthanized every year (and the thousands more who don't make it across the highway), but I can only take care of my two and hope and pray that the ones who don't make it at least do not suffer.

I hope that the people you mention in your post are taking good care of them.

donsgal

·
If I need a Shelter
21,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yea donsgal they take good care of them,they are all fixed,fed,and have good shelter.Only problem is the House smells like Cats.Which I'm sure these people have gotten use too and don't notice now.

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Rock, if you lived closer, I'd swear you were talking about my hubby's Ex. The day they married, she had to go home and pick up 2 of her cats before she could go on honeymoon!
Last year, her and her GF(yes, she ended up gay)moved near us, she bulit a building for her cats, well over 100.The dr told her she had to get A/C for her heart problem, she refused, because she couldn't run 2--and her cats had to have their A/C. Well, she died--owing the vet almost 7,000.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
This lady on the news this morning had 130 house cats and they was jumping for food like crazy but they was all fat.She was pitching food on the floor. I have 8 and love them all and they all get plenty of attention and food. Nancy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.