larger beef castrator

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by rambler, Nov 30, 2004.

1. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the little rubber bands on the calves, but from time to time need something for the bigger critters that come through. Any recommendations on what brand is good, or bad, for working larger critters?

--->Paul

2. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

Hi Paul-
    Well I'm not an expert myself, but we just had a friend castrate our 650 lb bull, and he just cut them. Hardest part seemed to be getting the bull tied up properly, plus cutting correctly so the blood vessels are cut in a fraying fashion to lessen the bleeding, rather than cut straight. I know around here people who routinely do that charge about 40 dollars for it.

Susie

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

The Bands work good on young Calves.They get bigger if your not wanting to cut them.Your only Choice is to Clamp them,which amounts to taking a device that looks like Large Dull Nippers,that pinches off the Cords leading to the Testicals.

big rockpile

4. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There is a great bander for larger steers that is highly effective. The one we use is sold under the brandname caltrate and unless you are planning on using it an awful lot, you might want to see if you can rent one somewhere. Ours was in the $450 range but well worth it in my mind. One of the feedlots up here has done a study and I think they came up with a failure rate/mortality rate associated with this product as being in around 1 in 10,000 head. The product comes with an instructional video and there are very few part on it to break. Instead of the little rings and pliers system you are accustomed to, this is more of a rachet system and the rings are an adjustable product made of surgical rubber tubing. It usually costs us about $1/band when we need to pick them up and most places that sell penicillin and other minor vet supplies have them.

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

There is a great bander for larger steers that is highly effective.

I lost a large Jersey bull that the vet put one of these bands on. It came loose and infection set in and two days later he was dead. If you use something like this keep him up where you can keep an eye on him.

Hope this helps. Jim

6. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've never used our bander on anything fully mature, we are purebred breeders and do like to make our decisions on 'keepers' till late fall, possibly early spring but never any longer than that. The above advice is sound regardless of what method you use, stock should be watched closely for signs of shock, infection or any sign they are unwell and they should always be treated promptly. As with anything else, it's important to know how the product is used and be familiar with it. The tubing is like any stretch material, there's a point where it's expanded to where it's effective, a point where it's too loose and a point where it's too tight and will likely snap. They are a common product in my area and we found it best to find someone who had some experience with it and watch and learn from them just as you would before heading out with a scalpel.