Large Window!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by fordson major, Dec 21, 2005.

1. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

friend? of ours gave us a 14 by 5 foot window . has any one used a window like this in a starter house for flats? its double pane and in great shape so hate to throw it out!!

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Hi FM,
    We did that once when we lived up north. I called it the hot bed.
    We built a frame for it to sit on (sloping south) put hinges on the back end so I could prop the front open with a stick or brick. It worked quite well. In the hot summer months I just flip it open and use it as a regular bed.
    Just remember to make the framing deep enough to allow seedlings to get fairly tall before they need planting out. I think if I remember correctly the front was about 1 1/2 ft. high and the back was about 2 1/2 high.
    I hope you can visualize what I'm talking about.

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

FM; Google "cold frames and hot beds" you'll find pic's of what I was talking about.

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

A 14' x 5' double pane window with frame will be on the heavy side. If you use it for a coldframe/hot bed cover make sure you can lift it with one hand so you can put in the prop-open support with the other!

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Is the glass low-E? If so, it won't let the full spectrum of light through.

6. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

14'x5'. Sounds perfect. I would be sure and lift it in the middle and not at the corner. Also check the low E thing. Nor sure how you might tell. Again, no real experience. Sorry. :)

7. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

nope not low e !product of the seventys and VERY heavy! do have some very nice lighter windows that will become cold frames. this sucker needs a good size wall and foundation! was thinking a sun shed with this being the south wall. by the way brahma the kville landfill has a recycle section and if you ask the boys they will keep an eye out for windows that meet your needs! also know a few contractors that have takeouts up for grabs now and then.