Large Goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I am looking for info on goat breeds. I recently went to an auction and saw a few large goats. Black white and gray coloured. I was there selling boer goats. I am interested in finding out the breed because I believe I could get cull nannies from local dairies at a good price and increase my herd size quickly and economically. I keep commercial meat goats. Mostly boer/nubian cross.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

why would you want to get cull nannies? why not make a good investment and get good bloodlines?

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

That really is not alot too guess from, Saanens are shades of white and quite large, they make good Boer x's, The Alpines come in various colors, as do the Kiko's-the Toggs are shares of brown, tan, white markings-you may well have seen a combination of any of the breeds!-am guessing not Nubian,as you say you have them-erect ears are swiss breeds.You could go talk too dairies about cull does, but the auction certainly is not the way too "economically" increase your herd, unless you have time for "herd-shots" ect!!

4. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

My boer cross bucklings seem to grow much faster, that is why I am interested in cull nannies. I have pure and cross boers. Hybrid vigor I believe its called.
    I don't really plan to buy from an auction, unless I see a really good deal. I would seek out some diry farmers in my area and buy culls.
    I think it might be an alpine that I saw. It definatly was a Swiss breed.

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

At an auction, you may bring in CAE and CL to your current herd. I would buy from a reputable breeder with a management plan and testing...

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

7. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure I'd want to buy a cull doe from a commercial dairy. Dairies don't usually sell a doe unless there is something wrong with her such as a mastitis damaged udder. If you are looking for an inexpensive dairy doe, you might want to try a family farm. We raise our goats mostly for pleasure and some milk for us and a few friends. I'm also breeding for show quality Nubians and grades. Every year, I sell off some of my yearlings who don't have the attachment I desire in a show goat and I sell some dry doelings. I need to do this to keep my herd size manageable. I sell to both local folks and to commercial dairies. I am not selling these does due to health problems. I keep a clean herd. I have friends who do the same thing. If you are looking to breed hybrid goats for meat, my experience id that the Nubians and Saanens produce the largest kids when crossed with Boers. Alpines work, but the goats are more refined and not always as meaty.