Large families in the past.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ardie/WI, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My cousin just wrote me about our relatives. She wrote that my paternal grandmother's father died when she was seven, leaving her mother with six children. Her mother met and married a man who also had six children and then they went on and had six of their own.

Can you imagine the family get togethers!

2. giddy

giddy Well-Known Member

My son-in-law's dad was one of 17. My son-in-law was told he has 652 first cousins. Don't know if thats true or not! lol

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I have over 120 first and second cousins (due to remarriage etc) and I thought that was a large number LOL!

Imagine Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar when they have to buy ALL those presents for their grandkids LOL!

Kat

4. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

My dad was adopted, but in his biological family he was one of 18 brothers and sisters. Apparently my grandfather ran around quite a bit, and fathered other children with multiple women as well, but we have no way of knowing how many other children there were or any way to find out who they are. We know most of the 18, although one brother that was adopted to a different family was never found. I have literally hundreds of cousins, 2nd cousins, etc. We started having family reunions a couple of years back and more people are showing up every year. It certainly makes for some interesting conversations.

5. Quiver0f10

Quiver0f10 Well-Known Member

I have only 10 :p but in our old church we knew a family that had 17 kids and the mom died and he married a woman who had 17 kids and whose husband had died.

They had a lot of money so that wasn't an issue, but can you imagine 34 children LOL. Christmas must be a blast at their house!

6. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Here I was just reading an email my brother sent about our great, great grandfather, who was a polygamist and had three wives. Six children with one, seven with another, and 14 with the third, our great, great grandmother. Whew. You would have to eat in shifts if you had that many children, as my husband's cousins did. I just think of waiting for the bathroom.....! I admire anyone with more than one child, as I am not the most patient person in the world! Jan in Co

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My mom was one of 12 and we have great family reunions! I have around 60 first cousins on my mom's side of the family (haven't counted them all up in a while).

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I am from a family of 11 kids. My parents have 40 grandkids as of now. I am sure there will be a few more added to the bunch before everyone is done. We have a ball.

My husband said they did a survey on the radio asking people if they had a choice of having no kids or 13 kids, what would they choose. I was surprised when he said 45% of them said they would have 13. I forget how many they polled.

9. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm #9 of a family of 10 kids (5 boys, 5 girls)... we had a blast as kids. Now my sisters are the Martha Stewart types and there is ME...sitting in my grubby jeans in the garden eating peas fresh off the vines! I like it My way better! lol

10. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my mother told me that I had 54 cousins. There may have been more since, and some have died. I knew only a handful of them, and today I wouldn't recognise any of them if I tripped over them in the street.

There's one couple here in Australia who are the proud parents of TWO sets of quads (conceived naturally). There are a couple of other earlier children, and they plan of having more. I say they are gluttons for punishment!

I think of my poor grandmother, the eldest of a large family (12, I think). She spent her entire childhood and early adulthood in being mother to the younger children. In desperation, she tried to escape into marriage - only to be landed with more of the same, PLUS a husband! I think it happened a lot, and it's still happening.

It's all very well to say children are blessings, but you can have too much of a good thing, I reckon!

11. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

My dad was one of 16 kids. I don't really know them because I was a bit of a scandal. My mom and dad had one last "night out" before they broke up and she never told him about me. He went on shortly afterwards to marry and have kids with his wife. When I was five my mom found out I needed hearing aids and had to name the father when she tried to get help with them. They are a VERY strict catholic family so it was quite the scandal.
    Anyhow I met my grandparents at their house in 2001 and was shocked to find out I have over 140some first/second cousins and there were something like 18 due that year alone! I can't imagine what that number must be up to now!
    The interesting thing is my grandmother came from a family of 12 and my grandfather was an only child! Can you imagine what his parents thought when they produced 16 grandkids?

12. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Those who don't learn from the mistakes of history are likely to repeat those mistakes

and there were some fairly large numbers of children on both sides of my parents' families.

Osama bin Laden is said to have had 24 children, his father 52.
    It is commonly held that Jesus Christ sired no children.

Which of those 3 is more exemplary (worthy of imitation)?

During the time period in which Jesus appeared, the world was populated by about 300 million people which in my opinion is about the high end of the optimum long term number of humans for this world. Thats less than 1/20th. the current number although it was only about 1/4th. the number of just over 100 years ago. The task of replenishing the world (commanded in Genesis) had pretty well been fully accomplished by 2,000 years ago.

13. mwhit

mwhit Well-Known Member

My mother was the youngest of 10 children, but 2 died young including the only boy-- when grandpa died at 83 in 1994 he had 8 living daughters, 56 grandchildren (many of them older than my mother), 80+ great grandchildren and quite a few great great grandchildren. There are alot more now, but I haven't counted... My great great grandparents on my fathers side had 13 children-- the poor lady died when she was 39 and great grandpa never remarried, but he did have his sister in law raise the baby. Dad had 5 siblings, but the oldest was hit and killed by a milk truck while sledding when he was 13. My grandparents didn't have anymore children after that and a few years later my grandmother died from heart disease-- I only have 8 cousins on that side.

14. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I have two children; I come from a family of 7 kids. Life was not the Waltons for me growing up, but some people do not take the gift of children as seriously and thankfully as they ought. Still, given my 'druthers, I would have had more, but that just wasn't meant to be.

We could argue all day long about world population and all sorts of hot buttons, but as long as you are loving and caring for your children, teaching them how to respect others and the world on which we live, helping them to contribute to the world rather than tear it down, then you SHOULD have as many children as your heart and household can handle.

The argument that Jesus didn't have any children is specious. Think of the trouble on the playground; "My dad can lick your dad!" :rolleyes:

Besides that, we're ALL His kids!

Pony!

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I suppose it goes a long way to explaining the stories: "well, all we got was an orange in our stockings for Christmas, and we liked it!"

16. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Glad to see that you state that this is your opinion.

It's amazing to me that no matter how long we hear the overpopulation crowd screaming that the world can't handle this many people, it continues to clip right along. There are millions of acres of vacant land in this country alone. Granted, some is not as desirable as others, but much of it would be useable if necessary. We throw away enough food in this country to feed several smaller countries at the very least. There are thousands of acres of land in my home county alone that used to be farmland that has been planted in pine trees. The farmers weren't making enough money on the crops, because the supplies were too high.

The number of children a family has is a personal decision between them and God. I don't belittle anyone who chooses to have few or no children. I just wish others would show the same courtesy to those of us with large families. If everyone had always felt the way you do we the world would not have Mozart or the Wesley brothers. They were all younger children of large families.

And comparing the Bin Laden's to Jesus in this respect is totally ridiculous.

17. dnw826

dnw826 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I would much rather see a loving, responsible family of 20 than poor parents of 1. If you can handle it and can (and want!) handle the job, then go for it!

I am one of 4 and that is a tiny group in my family. I love big families. My dh's family never have more than 3-and they think 3 is too many! So we have some...disagreements there.

18. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

I totally agree!!! My daddy came from a 15 child family and they were loved very much!!
    I always wanted to have one more than my granny (16) but it wasn't meant to be! I'll have my first at the same age as my granny had her last!!! (39)!!! My baby uncle who was the last born (who is only 3 years older than me) thinks this is too funny! :)

19. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I was the youngest of 7. My father died when I was 4. My mother married a farmer who ha 8 adult childern when I was 8. He had about 40 grandkids and Mom had around 18. When we had a Thanksgiving dinner for the whole schmere, no one worried about where to sit. Finding a place to stand was enough hassle. When we were standing around 3 deep, we were cautious to not get behind my stepsisters gassy husband.