Large Black pigs in the US?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ~PrairieGirl~, Jul 1, 2006.

1. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you can get large black pigs in the US? We are thinking of getting a few pigs and I think these would work best for us, but can't seem to find any is the states.
    Thanks,
    Cheryl

2. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

um im not sure exactly, bu you might ask if anyone has any pbp crosses, cause they can get quite large and can be black, but not usually as large as your average pink farm breed, lol otherwise if full size is what you want and just like the black color there is a breed but i forget the name....lol...guess i really havent been any help, sorry

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Look down the page a little to the thread titled "Just For Fun". John is a member here (he's actually in Canada, not the U.S.) who has large blacks.

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Welcome aboard PrairieGirl....................................................
    Contact this Fellow: Mr. Ted Smith ,Stillmeadow Farm, 740 Lower Myrick Road, Laurel, Mississippi 39440 or phone 601-426-2264................
    Keep in mind it is estimated that there are only 300 Large Black sows in the whole world!

5. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Try this link too, which covers all of North America. I found two in New England and I'm nowhere near the end of the list. http://www.nehbc.org/directory.html

With only 300 sows they must be awfully expensive.

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Thanks UpNorth...Ted is absolutely the guy when it comes to LBP's in the U.S. There are more and more of us with LB's now although it can be hard to locate us at times. While LB's are indeed very rare, they are not that expensive. I sell breeding quality gilts for $250 and a good boar will go for $400-$600. That is about average for any heritage breed, breeding quality hog. I have a website, but my blog probably has more info on LB's. www.goldforestfarms.blogspot.com

Also, http://www.largeblackpigs.co.uk/ has some great info and will help you in your search.

7. Up North

John I understand there is another breeder of Large Blacks in New York State
    (Like to see them roaming New York City :p LOL).
    If Large blacks were in NYC and decided to take in a Broadway Show, how would they see the production with those big ears covering their eyes?
    Or perhaps they would opt to escape the heat of the city and go up to the Catskills. Seated in large Black Lounge chairs sipping cool drinks,would they grunt their approval or squeal with mirth at the endless parade of Jerry Seinfeld wannabes?
    But seriously,
    Do you have a name or Address where folks in Eastern US might reach him??

8. John Schneider

Do you mean Rusty Smith? His e-mail is rsmith@bnin.net He is in Syracuse, but the state says Indiana? There must be a few Syracuses?

Your best resource for heritage breed animals though is Rare Breeds Canada (or the U.S. equivalent...Rare Breeds Conservancy?) or The Large Black Pig Breeders Club. They have a tremendous resource of contacts even though they are in the UK. Vicki will find someone close to you in most cases.

9. Up North

Firefly - Fun Link to Peruse!!!
    With regards to Large Black Pigs being expensive, Mr. Smith says in a recent article, and I quote "I want prices to stay low so that real farmers can afford to buy breeding stock and sell good eating pork"
    I say that is the mark of a true breeder!!

10. ~PrairieGirl~

~PrairieGirl~ Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for all the info :) I know that these are the pigs I want now I just have to figure out what they need. I am in Michigan do pigs need anything special for the cold? It sounds like i am going to want to keep breeding stock on these. We were just going to get a few feeder to raise for the summer but I want these and I has just about given up, now it looks like I am in for a serious pig set up! Anyone have any good links to share for the "basics"?

I am off to check out all of those links now :happy:

11. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

12. John Schneider

Prairiegirl...glad to have another convert on-board with Large Blacks. Get ready for people to answer your ad asking..."what breed are your large black pigs?" I always get a bit of a laugh at that especially when I answer back that the breed is Large Black Pig. I always throw the word English at the beginning to help them understand that that is indeed the breed name. They are wonderful pigs and do not require any special treatments for cold weather. A shelter that is small enough for all of them to fit without a lot of extra room and a whole lot of straw is all you will need. They are very tolerant of cold and I think that they get along in the cold better than they do in the heat. You will need to provide them a place to wallow in the summer. They are a heritage breed and need good pasture to forage in too....good luck.

This forum is as good a place as any for pig basics. Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs is a good book and is available everywhere.