Lantana, the spawn of evil

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Bladesmith, Apr 2, 2005.

What to do about lantana?

1. Accept the inevitable, and surrender to the will of the Lantana!

2. Attack it like Freddy Krueger

3. Waste it with chemical weapons

4. I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit, only way to make sure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

We have tones of Lantana on our property, and it's not the decorative stuff. Its evil and all over the durn place. Is there an easier way to kill this stuf other than digging and hacking at it? Mind, we don't want to use a bunch of poisonous chemicals.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Isn't there some really stout vinegar that can be used to kill weeds?
    Might also solarize it, if it's not too huge of an area?

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I despise Lantana in any form. In my zone, it's invasive as heck, including the 'pretty' ones. Kudzu's pretty, too, but I don't want it, either!

I wish I had options to offer, but aside from large quantities of manual labor, I don't know of any (I'd rather do the labor than use the chemicals)

Meg

4. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

We have 5 acres, and its everywhere. Since I'm laid up with a broke hip and junebug's preggers, we can't dig em out. And its getting a free ride this season. When I get better I'm attcking the heck out of it.

5. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

We Have That Problem Too. Was Hoping For Some Good Ans. Here. My Dgs And I Used A Chain And The Pickup Truck To Pull Up Huge Bushes On Our 40 Acres Here. We Had To As We Were Bringing The Cows Back Up Here. We Have Another Property That Has It 10 Times Worse, But We Plan To Have A Special Tractor/machine/device Plow Them Up (when We Can Afford It) No Cows In There Now.

We Experimented And Was Able To Burn One Bush By Setting It Afire And The Ground Under It Afire. It Was The Time Of Year W/ Lot Of Dry Leaves On It. We Have Considered Having A Controlled Burn, But There Are Citrus, Cypress, Oak TreeS Scattered About And Dont WAnt To Harm Them.

We Also Experimented With A Propane Torch On About A Dozen Big Bushes.......waste Of Time.

We Are Sw Florida East Of Lake Okee.

Sorry To Hear About Your Injury.

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

20% vinegar sprayed directly on the offending plant on a hot windless day is pretty effective. Just be careful, it burns if you get it on your skin.

I don't know about the type that you have, but mine comes back every year, to me that's a good thing, since I planted the decorative kind! But if yours dies back, it might be pretty easy to grub it up then? Ours dies back to sticks. I go out and break them all off close to the trunk every spring, so that the new growth has room to spring out.

hollym

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Where's the really cool picture of the stuff growing over fences, trapping sheep and domestic animals, and the farmer in his "Incredibles" shirt - I mean come on, guys, Uncle Sam wants YOU and we could inspire a Nation! :haha:

We're zone 6. The stuff is annual here. :p

:cool: All that southern sunshine is making you pay! :cool:

Well, maybe I am a little bitter that I can't set out my tomatoes until Memorial day... :waa:

Trust me, we have our own godzilla vines here!

Good luck!