Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am away at work and my daughter sends me an email. She likes trading and selling things, especially when it is my things it seems?? We had some really nice Americana roosters and I was going to eat them, but she ask if she could have them to trade or sell to support her and her sisters goat herd. Well, she sends me an email and says she traded a lady one of the roosters for 2 Langshan hens. I have never heard of them, but she did provide a link to the LC and they sound like good chickens and are supposed to lay a purple colored egg?? Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has any, or knows much about them.

Thanks for your reply and here is the link she sent me for anyone interested.
http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/langshan

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what one of the people I work with said. "Who would trade 2 hens for a single rooster???"

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have some Black Langshans. My husband really likes them (probably because they're relatively quiet). They are very big, mellow birds and lay brown eggs. The eggs can have a pink or purplish "coating", but the eggs are technically brown.

Ours are just about 7 months old and one of the roosters has just started crowing. I don't think our one Langshan pullet is laying yet.

One of the roosters:

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I had Langshans for years.
My flock sire became kinda famous on here.
His name was Saddleback and some of his offspring are still around with other HT members.
They are grand birds. Truly grand.
They take a little longer to mature (especially the roosters that don't fill out until they are almost 2 years old)

Saddleback(he got his name because his long back feathers and neck feathers were iridescent gold) and his sons were the best roosters. They never fought or scuffled and did not allow any other birds to fight or scuffle. They kept my flocks in perfect line and everything running smoothly. I could almost use Saddleback as you would a farm dog. He was amazing.
He died 3 years ago next week. I cried for 3 days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts