Landscape timbers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jack_IA, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Jack_IA

Jack_IA Active Member

I have a chance to get 4"x8 ft landscape timbers for 2.00 a pop. anyone know why they say not to use as fence posts? They seem sturdier than metal and costs alot less.Our animals do not knaw on our fence posts now.
    thanks

2. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

I know I just removed a fence that used 4"X4"X8' boards as posts. Couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. When I pulled on the posts they broke off at ground level.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I can add this bit of info. Landscape timbers are the core from logs used to make plywood. I was told that the core did not take treatment for rot resistance very well. A farm near me has a lot of fence using these timbers and recently some of the fence was rerouted and many of the landscape timber posts were very sound while others were rotted at the ground. Seems that the was no consistency in the rot preventative absorbtion as there were about 30 percent of the posts rotten and the balance OK and recycleable.. These posts had been in service for approximately 12 years.

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Ditto what everyone else said about rotting. I used them for flower beds & they didn't last long at all. Rotten! You would be better off to spend the extra money & have a fence that will last.

5. Jack_IA

Jack_IA Active Member

well was more worried about leaching by the animals.12 years sounds good to me if I loose a third the savings alone would more than cover thatAnd since others have used them why not?

6. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I used some on a small retaining wall project here, mostly because they were so cheap. I did notice that some were much heavier and some rather light. I assume the light ones will rot quickly.

7. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

I've used them for years for my fencing around a several acre area and they work great. I should note that I only buy the pressure treated ones. They have lasted as long as some of my locust posts. And I'm talking almost twenty years. I plan on getting some more in the next couple of weeks to build another "run" next to the barn. I plant them in the ground about two feet deep, nail four rough oak boards across. Then when done I use a chain saw to cut off the remaining two feet or so to make them look "pretty" :) BTW we use a propane nail gun to nail the boards up. Sure beats using a hammer and bending more than half of the nails!!

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,

I got the idea from my brother that they'd be good for temporary
    fence posts. I put some in about ten years ago & they are still solid.
    Not bad for temporary. My brother has some that've been in a couple
    years longer. And, he's satisfied. Might be that these were the older
    arsenic treated ones though. I don't know if that'd make a difference.

I put mine in about 30". They stand up well.
    G'Luck.

9. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

I was reading up on the difference last week because I was thinking of using landscape timbers for fencing. The problem is that landscape timbers are rather lightly treated and not meant to be biried in the ground. The post and 4x4s are pressure treated to resist rot. One of the websites, either Lowes or HD or the like, had a disclaimer with the landscape timbers stating they are not meant to be in contact with the ground. I think that says it all.

10. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

That's the key, make sure the posts are pressure treated and you'll be ok. Lowes and Home Depot are where I buy mine at. I get the 8'x3"x4" rounded edge posts. Only problem is I never know when they go on sale. They don't adv the sale up here on those. I just luck out sometimes when I visit the store. Usually go for $3 or $4 a board but on sale I can sometimes get them for $1.99 each.