landscape planting

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by twind59, Jul 13, 2005.

1. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Are there methods of landscaping and/or hardscaping designed to reduce noise?. I would like to figure out a way to maybe fence my backyard and landscape to try to buffer some of the street noise here in the city. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
    Barry

2. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

You could try what they do along highways near rich suburbs.

Building tall dirt mounds/walls is supposed to be the most sound insulating. You could have the only house in a "valley" in all of Indiana ;) After that, tall stone/cement walls are next best, I think. You could also do some combination of the two, like a hill 6 feet tall with a 5' stone wall on top--that way the total effect wouldn't look quite so strange. They also use a lot of pine trees, but I think those are mostly for looks. You could toss a few of those in on top of your hill, and tell people you're trying to recreate the Appalachian Trail in the midwest. Could be quite scenic, really ;)

Even where the government goes all out with the dirt mounds and everything, there's definitely still some sound, but it's muted, and the houses have a sense of privacy and isolation from the highway.

Maybe someone else knows of a simpler solution (moving? replacing your windows?)....