Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love them...the smells, the stuff people throw away..the intrigue... :p

I gave up on waste connections..local trash collector...a few year back..

Keep the organic waste in 30 gal plastic barrels..Newspapers, non organic

goes into a couple chicken wired holders I made..It lasts about 6 months and

then its time to load it all up and go to the landfill..Which I did today.. Something

new..they had a guy directing traffic...showing where to backup and even helping

a little bit!!..unreal..He told me that they got real busy when corona first started,

people having the time to cleanup and take out the trash...This landfill has the ability

to trap methane gas from bacteria breaking down organic waste...they use that to

power their night lights...Used to be able to go across the road where construction

waste is taken...Found really great undamaged counter tops and 2 x 6's and 8's...

And then they blocked it off...oh well...SO! Go to a landfill sometime, its educational..

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
When I was a teenager in highschool, my buddy's dad owned a waste hauling company. Everyone got summer jobs.
Start time was about 4 am and quitting time was between 10am and noon.
Lots of goodies left by the side of the road, and the tips at Christmas ranged from cash to booze.
You worked hard in spirts, but it wasn't hard work. Just don't forget to shower when you get home.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
23,617 Posts
Here you can't scrounge. I don't like that. The last place I lived they built an area just to drop things off so others could claim them. Everything from used dishes and furniture to reusable building.supplies.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
At landfills and transfer stations, it is a liability and safety issue. I am aware of one man who was hit in the head and killed by a dump loader as the operator was spinning to scoop debris. Another guy was backed into, ran over and crushed by a tractor trailer while picking thru trash.

·
Premium Member
18,020 Posts
Part of my job responsibilities over the years has been to regulate landfills...mainly dealing with the treatment and disposal of the leachate that is collected above the landfill's liner and reviewing groundwater monitoring results. Consequently, I have seen a lot of what goes on in landfills. In Minnesota, we once had over 800 landfills (actually open dumps). Today, due to stringent requirements and construction regulations, we have less that 50 landfills in the State.

Waste is a terrible thing to mind.....

Reactions: po boy

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
When I lived in Alaska we called "going to the dump", "going to the mall". I still use a pressure cooker, I picked up at the dump in Nome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts