Land Prices Around the World?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fantasymaker, Nov 23, 2010.

1. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

AnyBody familer with land prices in other countries? Nice Farm land? Water front? Mountain veiw?

2. lmrose

lmrose Well-Known Member

I saw this post so thought I would reply. I am only familiar with land prices where I live in southren Nova Scotia and they are high! Near us is 45 acres mostly woods with a field. It is listed for $49,ooo. Behind it is 53 acres listed for $89,000. Both are assessed as resource/ wood land and a person would have to survey and subdivide a houselot to build.

All farms here can range from $150,000 to several hundreds of thousands. Four hundred miles from us in Cape Breton land is cheaper but the soil in most places is not suitable for farming.

I find prices inflated here on land and realestate to several times the taxed assessed value.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Over here (NZ) they are dropping rapidly, nothing is selling and this trend seems set to continue for some time.

I'm not going to try and give you examples because I don't know what the exchange rate is at the moment - probably around .60NZ to the American dollar - and of course, like anywhere, prices vary around the country, whether it's bush, clean pasture, sea views, etc. If you want examples of my area, I could ferret some out for you or give you links.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. solidwoods

solidwoods Ret. US Army Supporter

watch house hunters international. The show 3 properties per show and tell all the prices.
    jim

5. mldrenen

mldrenen Well-Known Member

those properties would be severely under priced for my area. i bought 2.5 acres of rocky hilltop forest for $40k, and that was a good deal.

6. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Around here 1 acre goes for $25k to well over $1,000,000, but then this is in and near Dallas.
    Farm land continues to get eaten up for housing developments and malls.
    Where I live was country 15 years ago, sadly it's now the 'burbs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. FarmerRob

FarmerRob Well-Known Member

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

One day quite a while back I indulged myself one day and did a cursory search online for small farms in various places in Europe like England, Scotland, Spain, France, etc. WOW! Prices there are so high they make what I consider high prices here to be dirt cheap! It was very eye opening indeed.

9. Rusty'sDog

Rusty'sDog Well-Known Member

Land in Europe is very limited per capita. In the US, we probably have more acres of unused land than Europe has land. As populations boom worldwide, unused land will be consumed. There will become a day when many countries will merely "take" unused lands from their owners, and put them to use (sell/lease them) to farmers willing to work them. There are families who "own" (via land grants from some long dead king) tracts of land of over a million acres. These lands have been left untouched (partially because the family that owns them do not even live on that continent). When the day comes that that country has trouble feeding their people, they will seize that land (and the sad fact is that somebody like ConAgra will receive that land).

If a king who died in the 1700's gave you that land, and you have never stepped on the continent that holds that land, do you really own it? As world populations expand, many families will have to cede 100's of millions of $$ that they "thought" they had.