Land is FINALLY being cleared!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Sep 8, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

For what seems like an eternity....well okay four months :D we have been waiting to have our land cleared of the brush.

Well it is finally being cleared this Friday.

The guy says it is quite wet but he should be able to do a good amount but won't be bale to do anything fancy like smoothing out a pad for a building,etc.

Still it will be moving forward!!!!

We are also going to talk to him about reseeding with grass and developing up a woodlot.There isn't a lot of good sized trees on most of the property but there are some along the creeks so we will need to plant something fast grwoing to provide firewood in the future.

Also having trails made to enable us to get to all parts of the property-it is a bit overgrown right now.

Hopefully the weather will improve by the weekend as it is POURING rain up there right now.

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

How nice that you are moving in the right direction! I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be to keep on WAITING. We have 40 mountain acres covered in thick Lodgepole pine and have been working on clearing it ourselves each summer for the past 6 years. Making progress but sometimes I forget how thick it was when we started and then I get to thinking we are not moving fast enough LOL. Counting baby pines we have taken out over 1200 trees from the half acre front yard alone. Though some were only 12 inches tall others (the majority) were about 20 feet tall when we took them out. Made me sad to remove them but we really wanted a view and to be able to see the animals! Good luck with your special place!

3. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Also good idea to keep some bare space around your buildings in case of forest fire.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Congratulations, Oz!

Just think, pretty soon, your all's life will be similar to mine --- and your days off will find you covered in caulk and paint, desperately mowing in between trying to gather all the tomatoes, struggling to remember who you lent your saw to, and trapped in indecision between moving that old straw or cutting down those limbs.

:haha:

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Great news Oz!!! We never could afford to have someone else clear for us, but have been working at it for 15 years. It is all a process and I sure love it. Best of luck in moving forward toward your homestead.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Know how glad I was to get a drive way cleared to my place in colorado. Seemed that made a bigger difference than I expected it too. Didn't have to clear the house site tho, I was building on a solid slab of rock.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I'm the perfect example of what happens when city-girl-geek-nerd gets dropkicked into the middle of nowhere.

:haha:

May your adventures be less alarming than mine! :haha:

8. oz in SC

The land clearing isn't TOO bad(well I don't think)-$80/hour and he should be bale to clear at least half of it he thinks.

When we first looked at it we could kind of walk the property some but last tie it was VERY difficult.

In NC you can't leave the soil bare as it would of course erode so something has to be put down.

We also won't be building in at least a year or so.

9. oz in SC

Well I recieved a call from the dozer guy and he was already out there this morning clearing the land :) He said he was going to push some 'roads' through so we can get to all the property and to bring a 4-wheeler if we had one :eek:

He said it was steep in one place but if it is where I'm thinking it is its not THAT bad-seen MUCH worse in our searches for land :haha:

The weather was good and he said the stumps were coming out easily-lets hope it keeps going that way..

Well we are off at noon on the trip up there and will be back on Sunday or maybe Saturday...

10. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Excellent! Have fun!

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Gee, this sounds familiar :rolleyes: