Land in TN

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Just saw this in our local (Cookeville) paper and the price sounds pretty good. I have not seen the land and have no interest in selling it. 35 private acres in Hilham $1300 per acre. Call Mark at 931 879 4765

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

If the land consists of poisonous snake infested swampland, it isn't worth $.13 and acre.

If its high ground, it MAY be worth it. Buying land sight unseen is a fools game.

3. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Being near Cookville, TN - don't think there would be too many swamps but speaking of worthless land... I lived in Florida when the swamp near Orlando was being bought up for dirt cheap - guess Walt knew what he was doing building Disney in the swamps....
    Around the eastern part of the state land was cheap when I moved here 20 years ago - now the developers have found us and land is not so cheap anymore.... I bought 93 acres with house and several barns for $98K - this year my neighbors farm was sold (40 acres) for $130K and it only had an old house with no water or sewer and 2 really old barns. If someone had the extra cash, it could be a better investment to buy land sight unseen than to put it in Wall Street..... JMHO

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

weelll, folks down in south georgia along the okephenokee swamp are glad they own swampland. They make a massive profit off of the swamp growing mayhaws and making mayhaw jelly. Theres a 2 year waiting list to get some.

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

What is a mayhaw? (I thought I knew everything but I guess I dont) LOL

6. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

I googled Hilham TN and while I wouldn't live that far north or that far from a city, it does sound like it's worth a look for anyone who is looking. I paid more than that for just 16 acres, and don't regret it. Might be perfect for someone.

Rita, thanks for the heads up.

7. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

jnap31 (I thought I knew everything but I guess I dont)

Hee hee ...good one! For the record I have now idea what a mayhaw is either!!

8. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

mayhaw = hawthorn fruit