Land in the ozarks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Sep 7, 2004.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone can tell me where I might look in the ozarks for land. I would like to be near a body of water, reasonable distance to a hospital, schools (might homeschool) a place with a BIG view, but flat land too for house and garden, etc. Also I want land with no restrictions, so if we need to build something for inlaws later. I do want electricity (will build with some solar also).

My dream land would have me sitting (atleast for coffee) on a deck looking over rolling green hills and gorgeous mountains that change each season. I don't want to live in the middle of a wooded lot (too closed in for me). I want timber available for cutting and beauty on the acreage though. I would like lots of acres. (I'm leaving the ocean behind and no I can't afford to live on the ocean here, just a short drive away though)

Are there lots of mosquitos in Missouri and Arkansas? We have tons here in New England.

What about climate?

brural

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

around mt. view is real nice in the mts. there arent mant mosq. heve elec. and you can do what you want on your land in mt. view on the weekend they still go down to court house play ther insturments very nice

3. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I'll share with you a couple of ads from our local, Harrison, Arkansas, Free Real Estate Guide - Summer 2004....give you some idea.

Smith Mountian Road - 160 acres m/l. Great view! Property has a nice hardwood forest and numerous pine trees. Nice pond. Located at the end of the road for privacy. Utilities are in there in the area. $144,000 MLS# 109902 - Buffalo River Real Estate - Jasper, AR 1-800-448-2218

On Table Rock Lake - Secluded 174 surveyed acreas w/appox. 2000' on lake. Gentle slope to water's edge. Great Lake View w/awesome bldg. sites. Woods, pasture, spring, cabin, well. $222,500 m/l# 112514 - United Country Roth Realty -870-741-7557

Hmmm...it might be easier if you p.m. you mailing address and I just mail you a copy of the Guide??

Marlene

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

North central Arkansas probably has what you're looking for.

I'm located in Marion County - the Yellville area - and ...

Hospitals: Mountain Home and Harrison both have decent hospitals (although Mountain Home is slightly better) - approx 25 miles away, one to the east, the other to the west.
    A body of water: Bull Shoals Lake is close, Lake Norfork is within 50 miles, and the White and Buffalo Rivers are close by.
    Schools: Small schools, some better than others.

Land restrictions: You're always going to have to deal with some sort of "restrictions" (mainly county or state regulations which mostly deal with septic issues), but generally there aren't very many of those. Unlike New England, a lot of land here is "out in the county" - meaning outside of the city limits (one city limits line doesn't necessarily border up against the neighboring community) and has very few restrictions.
    You have to be careful when dealing with some of the real estate agents though. (One of them has a real bad reputation, but keeps finding out-of-state folks to cheat.)

Mosquitos: Not too many - and certainly not as many as in New England. Ticks aren't too bad, but the chiggers will drive you nuts (at least the first time you get into them ... and you WILL get into them).

Climate: Tolerable. The Mountain Home area consistently ranks in the "Top Ten" retirement areas. The majority of retirees ( a lot from the Chicago area) tend to settle close to Mountain Home. Winters are nothing compared to New England; the summer heat and humidity can be a bit rough until you become adjusted to it though - especially if you're doing hard physical labor outside.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions I can. My email is ozarksquirrel@icqmail.com

FWIW - I moved here from western Massachusetts about 15 years ago. BIG difference between Massachusetts and Arkansas.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Nomad

7. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Around the Clinton area is nice, and a little closer to town than my property is. I suggest this area because it is close to Greer's Ferry Lake for your water pleasure. But I wouldn't recommend getting caught up in the Fairfield Bay fiasco... timeshares, etc right on the lake. I'm 15-20 mins from the lake, and that's perfect for me.

Hot Springs is nice, but a little more touristy than other areas.

Mountain View, as mtman said, is very nice. Touristy in the summer, but beautifully surrounded by mountains. (I'm 16 miles from Mountain View, and again, that's perfect for me.) The locals seem very accepting of people "from off". The town does all those great "get togethers". Coming up in October is the 22nd Beanfest and Championship Outhouse Races. Now how can you resist spending the day eating beans and cornbread, and watching the outhouses race down the main street? :D Here's the town's website:

http://www.ozarkgetaways.com/

8. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

Have 3.5 acres wooded Ozark land I plan to sell next year. Price will be in $7000 range. Does have minor restrictions. FB

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Nomad, that realtor sounds an absolute scream! And he obviously doesn't care for Ford's. :haha: :haha:

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

seems a little steep in price where is it located

11. Nomad

Cyngbaeld,

He is pretty funny. He had a listing on once...not sure if it still is...and he said something about it being a worthless piece of property. What a salesman. :haha: I did notice his mention of Fords. Must have had a bad experience with one.

Nomad

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You know what's weird, I never get chiggers! I'm also not allergic to poison ivy :cool: . Oh, uh knock on wood.

OT :D

13. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

14. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Consider the area around Hot Springs and Lake Quachita and Quachita National Park.

www.action-realty.org

15. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

THANKS SO MUCH. I appreciate all the input. I'm going to do some research and then I may have questions about certain areas. One major question I have - is there an area that is cooler in the summer than others?

brural

16. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

In the Ozarks themselves -- the temperature is usually within a 5-15 degree range of each other. I started to say..."the hallers are allsways cooler" but decided you might not yet appreciate Ozark humor.

Marlene

17. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

We have a property listed in Missouri right now. It is a really nice place. Stop by www.HomesteadHunter.com and take a look!

18. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

look in the back of countryside in the land ads, and you will find a 800 number for a free ozark realty magazine. its nc ark and sc missouri area, lists about 100 different realtors. thats how I found my land. chiggers and ticks are the mosquito trade off

19. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

This sounds much more my type of thing than the Wine and Cheese Fests that pass for entertainment around here. Not to mention the kindness of providing plenty of receptacles for all those beans and bread! :haha: But...chiggers????? :eek: :eek: :eek: (Could guineas control chiggers?)

Chris

20. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is a couple adds I found on another forum.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    For sale 120 acres with 14 x 74 trailor, new 40 x 60 quanson hut building,20 x 36 pole barn with joining 16 x 36 shop and 25 acres of good pasture. It is loacted 120 miles South East of Springfield Mo. Borders Mark Twain National forest for 1/2 mile and one mile from Irish Wilderness. exelent deer,turkey and squirl hunting. For more information call 1-573-255-3735 if not there leave message and we will get back to you ask for Jerry or Joann Robertson address is HC7 box 235K Doniphan, Mo. 63935. Asking $180,000.00
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our lovely home was completely remodeled & updated last year from top to bottom...including flooring, bathtub, tolit, ceiling fans, lights, paint, etc. 1200 sq feet of living space upstairs & 1200 sq ft walk out basement downstairs. Brick exterior, lovely park like yard, on the "edge" of town yet within walking distance of store, post office, drug store & dr. office. Attached garage & wood burning stove for back up (in basement). Moving to FL.
    573*323*4775
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are some URL's for local realtys

http:/www.welcome2.com/amre

http:/www.southeastmorealestate.com

http:/www.morealestate.net/collins