land grants

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oregonbuckaroo, Jun 10, 2005.

1. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

Me and 2 of my buds are looking at getting some land grants to start are own ranch. all 3 of us we be graduating highschool next year :) one of my buddies G/F' mom is a grant writer. so i got that coverd. dose any body have any info on land grants thanks

2. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

What part of Oregon are you looking at?? Just curious..

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I don't believe there have been any 'land grants' given in a couple hundred years, if we're talking about the same kind of land grants. The King of Spain still has some land grants in the West, with his name on them. The Republic of Texas gave out some pretty good land grants....several branches of my family got the 4000+ acre grants. The Homestead Act no longer is in effect, so it's pretty difficult getting public land patented into your name...not difficult, but a law degree and a large bankroll for all of the legal hurdles you'll encounter are helpful.

I'm afraid you'll find 110% of all the land in the West is accounted for...as far as anything 'grazeable' goes. The Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management controls the grazing rights on most all of the public lands...

Good luck....I'd recommend getting a college degree in agriculture, meet a ranchers daughter, and let love take it from there.....would certainly be the best way of getting your own ranch....

texican

4. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

Right know I live in hood river but we are looking for land any where in oregon, idaho, wyoming,montana or colorado

5. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

nobody has any ideas about this??

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I heard some people talking last year about Oregon giving out land grants but I dont know where or how much. If she knows so much about grants can't she help you? I am courious......hope its true and good luck

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I am curious too. What have you heard about land grants?

Here in Kansas free land will just be a city lot in a town that wants a bigger population. And, the Homesteading act is no more.

8. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Legally, homesteading ending in 1976. In reality, it ended decades earlier.

The Federal Government no longer gives out land grants.

That isn't to say land grants don't take place. There are a handful of communities in the US that do indeed engage in land grants. They are very small dying towns in remote locations. The land grant is usually an acre or less and you must build a house on the acreage and inhabit the house for so many years.
    Other land grants in the form of corporate welfare may be awarded to sports venues and other corporate entities that dangle the carrot of some good paying jobs moving into a community.

I'd have to think in this day & age ranching is a tough venue to get started in. The cost for even a modest working ranch of 100 acres or so would likely cost upwards of $400,000. Remember, Californians loaded with home equity cash are fanning the country, looking to invest. Other than the land appreciation, most ranches show little profit.
    Land today is so outrageously priced that no product can be grown/raised on it to make it economically feasible.

I'd urge young people today to invest in as much land as they can get their hands on. Establish a credit history ASAP and NEVER EVER EVER make a late payment on ANYTHING!

9. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I think buckaroo is looking for a grant to buy land. Notice he mentioned someone is grant writer. If that's the case he needs to know of agencies or foundations that as part of their mission will disburse funds on the basis of a successful grant application to buy land.

If he finds a source I think millions of folks would like to know too.

10. Angharad

Angharad Active Member

I know there is an inniative by the USDA to get more women and minorities into agriculture. I am trying to find out if this means that funding is available.

Was on the USDA site las night and they have PLENTY of grants etc in their Rural Developement program to do things like attract coporate jobs into rural areas.

Guess they think this will help keep rural areas rural?????!!!!!

Angharad

11. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

for sure we need more factories mixed in with the farmland and some high rise office buildings would look nice too LOL! i , a female , would like a USDA grant to dig a well so I could grow a fruit orchard...like that is gonna happen. i just keep dreaming and carrying buckets of water out to the tiny trees!

12. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Most of the grants now being awarded are for women and minorities for small business up to $100,000 per

13. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Would that include market gardening? Sure could use some help.

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

The government programs that are farming related usually require that a person have 3 years of the last 10 with income soley from farming related activities..... whether male or female no matter how good your plan looks on paper or how much enthusiasum you may have..... the government really doesnt want to have farmers anymore, only corporate farmers...... but thats a different topic.

As far as corporate grants go, most of those are never given if property is involved at all, some sort of internal thing i'm sure..... but if you can figure out how to git a grant for something... and become the administrator who gets a salary for making sure it goes as planned, then you can use that money as a payment for your ground..... I know several folks who get $1000.00 per month from each grant they administer..... and they have several they are doing at one time...... plus a regualr day job...... most are Lewis and Clark related right now.... which will all end in a couple years....then on to the next cause.....

You could try stking a mining claim pursuant to the 1872 mining act, which the BLM will tell you that the patented mining claims were shut out in 1955, however with the right law paperwork, about 3-5 years in Court appearing against the liberal posey sniffer attorneys you may be able to buy the mining claim from the government for a few thousand per acre..... and have a patent on it.... which would be off the tax rolls.....

However do not let me disuade you from your endeavor..... if you can git-r-done then by all means do so, scribble down your story and then sell it as a book, and make another sum of cash to keep your dreams alive...

William

15. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

Thank you for your help.

16. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

The ones I've seen or heard of recently have all required you to move to whatever town is giving away building lots in order to re-establish a population. Towns like East KupKake Kansas and such. The desirability of such a relocation is for you to evaluate.

I'm not sure you might not be talking about public grazing rights though. I say this because you mention ranching. Public grazing rights are a whole different kettle of fish.

17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

In case the grant thing does not work out, you might consider keeping an eye on the net for property for sale. Remember that if you have a home base that you might be able to rent additional land.

This is interesting, though it is probably desert land. http://www.unitedcountry.com/ucform...earch_Found_Properties.Asp?SID=13829336&Lcnt=

You might ALSO try to find a book called no-risk ranching.

Basically, the gent rented unused land between his home and his job. He was able to check his stock twice a day if he chose becasue he was driving by anyways. He stocked it in the spring with young cattle and he sold the cattle in the fall so he didn't have to winter anything over. Something like that would give you a leg up on a cattle business.

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

in looking at obtaining federal money i see that most are income tied. in that your income from all sources must place you in the "very-low" federal income bracket. That is about 18K for a family of 2 (gross income) annually. I am 2K over for getting a low interest loan for digging a new well!