Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and most of you who 'know' my husband probably know where this is going. He was pulling the brush back up, and the metal tip swung (swinged? swang?) back and popped him above the eye.

Two hours in the Dr. office and two stitches later....:stars:

So he's supposed to go back and have the stitches out today, but he didn't want to spend another hour or two in the Dr. office for a 30 second procedure - so I got the joy of learning to remove stitches this morning! I swear, if he wasn't around, I would miss out on soooo many new experiences.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm amazed that you got him to go get the stitches! My dh is also very accident prone esp with his head, and the last time he laid it open my mom and I just stuck it back together with some butterfly bandages. My mom has alot of experience from patching up my brothers! :)

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I've told him he has just enough medical training to be dangerous!

The main reason he went in was that he couldn't figure out how to put butterfly bandages in his eyebrow, and I pointed out that if he didn't go in, it was probably going to leave a scar, and then he'd have a scar running right through the middle of his eyebrow. He's just vain enough to decide that he'd rather suffer the stitches than suffer a bald spot in his eyebrow.

He did learn from the Dr. (who had a 3rd year med student with him) that you should never ever shave an eyebrow, because they may grow back, but very sparsely. I knew this, because I have an aunt who doesn't have any eyebrows and has to draw them on with a pencil for that very reason!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I'll vouch for the eyebrow scar (I can't vouch for the shaved eyebrow, much to manly for that). I have a doozy from one of my adult beverage outings at Ft. Polk. I learned many things:

* the gin bottle is mightier than the Farmer Willy head
* stitches are not an option after 12 hours in a pasture
* eyebrows do grow back over scars, they just looked ragged
* never drink up all of you cab fare and hitch hike back to base

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It sounds like you all spend more time at the ER than you do at home!!

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
LOL!! I knew this was going to be a "doctor's office" story when I read the title, Christine! I used to think that *I* was married to the most accident-prone man on the planet.... now I know better!

Hope he's feeling better ;)

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew you'd get a kick out of it, Tracy - I was just waiting!

Melissa, I'm starting to get worried about how many he has left - he hasn't even hit 40 yet, you know.

Farmerwilly, sounds like you learned a lot from that experience. I hope it stuck! (the lessons, not the gin bottle!)

·
23,497 Posts
I'd guess he has used up three of them Christine! LOL

I am sure he keeps his guardian angel quite busy...

Cale used to do demolition work when we were first married and it is soooo dangerous. He used to come home and tell me stories about buildings crashing and falling two stories and hanging onto beams 3-4 stories in the air- and finally I told him I just did not want to hear it any more. I am not sure how he is still alive as many times as he fell and was hit. I figure God must really have a plan for him.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, Lance worked the Oklahoma City bomb site the day after it happened. He was working in the area just under the monstrous chunk of concrete that fell when they cut one piece of rebar.

That year at the state fair, they had pictures in one of the displays of the building before, after, different angles and stories with it. He was showing his mother where he was working and the piece dangling, then told her how it fell, and she just shut him down and wouldn't listen to anything else about it.

Some things they do we really don't want to know, do we?

But I'm not too sure about the 3 lives - he's had two motorbike wrecks, split his head open on a cinder block wall, fell off an 8' privacy fence with a chainsaw in one hand, fell 20' out of a pine tree (again with the chainsaw), that infamous stingray incident, I don't even want to go on with this list.

I think he must have a team of angels on call 24-7, there's no way just one could handle him!

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, CF. Lance says those pole sections you attach to the brush are VERY flexible, and the metal attachment pieces are VERY metal (and big).

Lance wasn't real excited about letting me loose that close to his eyeball with the surgical scissors, he'd probably run if he saw me with a Leatherman! Of course, me with scissors was still more appealing than 2 more hours in the Dr.'s office, plus another $15 copay.

·
Registered
520 Posts
When my dh and my one brother get together I go in the house and don't watch! They manage to accomplish some fairly amazing things but I refuse to listen to the details of how they set trusses with only a small tractor, trimmed a huge branch off the willow tree etc. Its a good thing they didn't know one another when they were teenagers! The head injury count on those two.... its amazing they are alive! As my dh's hair gets thinner sometimes I'll play the game of "whats this scar from, what about this one" :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts