Lamp oil that doesn't stink?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wisconsin Lisa, May 10, 2006.

1. Wisconsin Lisa

Wisconsin Lisa Active Member

I'd love using my oil lamps more but can't stand the smell of the oil in them. Seriously, it makes me nauseous. I bought it at Wally-World I think. does anyone know of a type of oil that doesn't smell so bad?

2. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

At my cabin, we use the white kerosene like people use for their kerosene heaters. It smells like kerosene when you pour it in, but if you don't turn the wick up high enough to make it smoke, you'll never smell it as it burns.

The regular kerosene is a LOT cheaper than those fancy bottled lamp oils. I'm like you, they stink...

3. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Well-Known Member

You can also buy 100% parrafin oil. I've used it for years because I hate that smell, too. Parrafin oil has no smell.

My wal mart carries it in the candle section or Lehmans sellls it in large containers. I have a feeling you can get it at alot of other places, too.

Eliz

4. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Walmart sells the parrafin oil and candle/lamp oil. It says it is smokeless and odorless. I use it.

5. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

We use the liquid parafin as well. It doesn't smell or smoke at all -- and that's a darned sight better than kerosene, which gives me a nasty headache!

Pony!

6. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

Parafin oild or citrenalla oil.

7. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

We use the parafin oil too - for that very reason . We have used it for days at a time when the power goes out .

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Are you smelling the oil when the lamp is burning or out? or both?

We use regular K-1 kerosene in our Aladdins and I don't smell the oil when the lamps are burning nor when the lamps are not in use. The only time I smell the oil is for a minute after I extinguish the lamps.

9. Wisconsin Lisa

Wisconsin Lisa Active Member

I can smell it all the time burning or not, but I have a very sensitive sniffer. I'll look for parafin oil and see if that's better for me. Thanks all!

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Be sure to wash the lamp basin and parts and change to a new wick before filling with the different oil.

11. peri_simmons

peri_simmons Well-Known Member

Everything I've ever read sez don't use paraffin oil in Alladdin mantle style oil lamps. They are strictly for kerosene. Paraffin is too dense to flow up the wick properly in a mantle lamp. At least that's what their instructions state.