lamp iol

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by back_woods_bill, Oct 1, 2005.

1. back_woods_bill

back_woods_bill Member

Hi, does anyone know if you can uses bio-deisel to run aladin oil lamps? Can someone tell me some other fuels to use in this type of lamp that could be made on site.

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

According to how I understand it, biodiesel is nothing but a fancy name for vegetable oil used as a fuel. I have seen 'olive oil' lamps sold, but they might need a special wick. I believe Alladins can work on either kerosene or parafin. I am not sure if vegetable oil will work with them or not.

3. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Biodiesel is NOT just vegie oil used as fuel! Biodiesel is vegie oil which has been chemically changed by mixing it with methanol & lye. It behaves like dinodiesel -- and you can use it in any engine which runs on dinodiesel with no modification to the engine. So, if you can use regualr dinodiesel in your aladdin lamps (oy! the stink!), then you can use biodiesel -- but I don't think you can.

Vegie oil used as fuel in diesel engines is called SVO for Straight Vegie Oil. You do have to modify the engine to do that.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Ya know, I have no idea if you can use biodeisel in an Aladdin. I have several Aladdins that work just fine on K1 kerosene. Now if you're so fired up to find out if biodesiel works in an Aladdin why not try it???? Just use a new wick and give it a go. Tell us all what you find out...okay? If it doesn;t work, throw the wick away, install a new wick, clean all the biodesiel out of the font, and fill with kersosene. Your experiement only cost you about 8 bucks, no big deal.

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I think I was behind a truck today that was using a vegetable based fuel. I had the windows down and I swear the exhaust smelled like french fries. I couldn't have been from a restaurant since I was 30 miles from one. Is that possible? Do you get a smell of fried food from your tailpipe from running used fryer oil? Maybe I was imagining it.

6. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

My local bio fuel processor says that is true. The conversion process from cooking oil to fuel does not remove the cooked food smell.

7. BlueRidge

BlueRidge Well-Known Member

Yep - that was probably SVO, converted from restaraunt leftovers. A few years ago a biodiesel activist converted a bus to run on the stuff, pulled a trailer which had his purification plant on it. (Obviously, used MickeyDee oil is full of food particles, so you have to filter it very well.)

He went around the country doing demonstrations as a way to promote the idea. The French Fry smell was mentioned as being very noticeable.

8. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

It likely will not work. In any case, NEVER use an alcohol fuel in it. Very dangerous...

9. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Ok..so the kerosene that I buy for my "sometimes" used kerosene heater in the greenhouse would be the same you could use in the lamps ?? Right ??

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

That's right! You use kerosene in kerosene lamps.

11. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

OK..kerosene lamps..use kerosene.. duh ?? Gotcha !!

12. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, actually, we use Citronella oil in our Oil Lamps.
    It burns brighter. Almost the same price.
    And, it has a pleasanter smell than Kerosene.
    But, that's just us.
    Oh, we don't have any mosquitos in the house either.
    Have fun.