Lammas to Samhain

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Living in Florida, I'm not so connected to this turning of the wheel in the physical sense but it is my favorite part. There is a deep spiritual connection for me that has no basis in where I live and what I find myself doing in this life since I can plant and harvest pretty much year-round. The thin veil of Samhain is refreshing and renewing and so many people need it more than ever. I just looked at some posts about Halloween and thought some were silly. Halloween is a social construction just like Christmas. Some are quicker to blame society for the consumer take-over of Christmas but still want to blame the devil for the stupidity Halloween has become. What say you Pagans?

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Tango
    Happy upcoming Samhain.

I cannot say I'm Pagan, but have a respect for the beliefs that I've read. And do have Pagan tendencies, but do believe as a Christian.

I have a cousin finding herself as a Christian Pagan. So I'd say that's more my tendencies at this time.

I appreciate Pagan respect for nature, and the whatever you do, will come back three fold.

So a "Blessed be" to you and yours.

AngieM2

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of reading the negative takes on Samhain, and it hurt terribly. There is so much misinformation and intolerance where Paganism is concerned. It is distressing to know that there are still people who believe that all Pagans are Satanists. Samhain is such a loving a beautiful time for us. Being close to our loved ones who have passed is increadibly comforting and spiritual. The harvest and time between Lammas and Samhain is also a joyful time to celebrate the bounty of nature. When the trees are glowing with color, and there is a snap in the air, you can feel the glory of Creation and the circle of life all around you. I wish I could bottle it up and send it to you, Tango! Angie, thank you for your kind words and understanding. I've been very discouraged by some of the posts I've read lately, and have even considered leaving the forum because of someones suggestion that all Christians are brothers and sisters and the rest of us are "lost" outcasts. It made me feel like I wasn't welcome here. I wasn't sure there were any other Pagans here at the moment, so it's good to know I'm not alone. Blessed Samhain!

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of the Halloween posts so I'm winging it here. But I will say this is one of the most diverse boards I've read as far as beliefs. I didn't realize HOW diverse until now. (Note to self -- don't assume everyone is on the same page!)

I don't know what you all think of Halloween, but its been disappointing to me over the years that it went from a little safe fun thing for just for kids, to an overcommercialized disaster. (I see we don't have a duck and cover emoticon on this board like on others :haha: ) We don't even take our kids trick or treating. Too much weirdness out there.

We have a fall/harvest party instead. Easy to do since we live on a farm.

ann

5. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

What is Samhain? A time of year? A holdiday? Are there customs associated with it, like holiday traditions?

I ask respectfully and with interest, not with a desire to hear something I can disagree with.

6. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I celebrate Hallows rather than Samhain, the later being a Celtic Holy day while I am an Anglo Saxon Heathen. It's the same time of year, just a different word for it. If I were a farmer with livestock in a part of the world with harsh winters, this would be the time of the year when I would be preparing to slaughter the exess stock that I could not overwinter. The reason for all of the Ghastlies and Goblins this time of year is due to the fact that those types of wights are naturally attracted to the bloody nature of such things. Traditionally, offerings were given to the mischevious and sometimes dangerous wights, both to calm them down and distract them from the job at hand.

As I do not have any stock right now (save my cat Mischief, who does NOT have black fur), I celebrate Hallows by faining the gods during the full moon, offering them fine food and drink, while thanking them for the fine harvest of silver that I have received this year.

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

as a former pagan , and one whos birthday is in october i have always help halloween/Samhain near and dear to my heart

its distressing to me to see the commercialization of the holiday , and the rapid encroachment of christmas
    i think the christmas is even more distressing , i look in the store and i see aisles of summer stuff being taken down and tons of christmas being put up , heck its not even cold enough here to plant fall bulbs , and they have artificial snow everywhere !

ah well ... such is the wheels turning ...

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Heilsan Tango & Y'all, Pagans & not,

Happy Samhain, from an old Asatru-Heathen.
    My Kindred celebrates "Winternights", as sort of a
    Harvest Festival,
    at or around the 14th of Oct.Hunting Moon.

I celebrated many Samhains though as a Wiccan.
    I came to Asatru and Northern Heathenry, after many years
    as a Hp, in a Coven I shared with several Folks.
    I was Gardnerian & did the Sabbats & Esbats,
    with all the ceremonies. But I was looking for
    the Ancestral Gods & Goddesses of My Folk.
    So, I came to Germanic Heathenry and Asatru.

Samhain is indeed a Harvest Time, for the Celts.
    It celebrates the time of the Meat Harvest or Blood Harvest,
    the time when the Herds were culled of the excess stock
    that could not be over-wintered, due to lack of feed & forage.

In our Kindred,
    We still carve the jack-o-lanterns, & have a Meat Feast,
    along with our WinterNights Celebration. The Kindred Kids
    love it. Most of our Kindred Families live out in the
    Country. So the K.Kids never get to do the regular
    Trick-or-Treat candy thing.
    As Gothi & Gythja, the DW & I hand out packets of candy for
    the K.Kids to take home with them.
    Let them get hyper at Home. he-he-he

Tango, you're right; Seems like the Christians in general,
    do tend to try to dominate the Forums, with sort of a
    "One-right-way-to-do-things" POV.
    Don't let it get you down. Listen to their POV. Keep
    yours strong in your Heart & Head. State it when you
    feel the need to.

wildhorse likes this.
  9. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

Well, I don't celebrate Samhain or Halloween. But this is the best time of the year. I always feel closer to nature in October than at any other time of the year. This year I will be celebrating something though-my grandaughter's first birthday will be Oct. 30! So "Blessed Samhain" & "Happy Halloween" & "Joyous Autumn" to everyone here. And "Happy Happy Birthday" to Emilie Danielle-Granny loves you!! :D

10. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I should probably seek out 'cover' but... (and this is for everybody..not any particular 'religion')...

I've always wondered.. WHY they heck can't people just enjoy what nature and their own spirit have to offer? WHY do they always have to come up with some silly RELIGION? Guess it's just that 'group' thing, eh? (The worst is/are the 'group/groups' that have to put you in a Political Box!!)

Please don't misunderstand me.. I'm not criticizing.. I actually REALLY TRULY just don't GET that people all have to set RULES and have little rituals for everything that should/does come naturally! Does what I'm attempting to point out/question come through, here? I just think that having so many 'rules of engagement' concerning things of spirit/energy/nature/religion.. just enhances the idea of Us vs. 'Them', you see? And I think that is bad.

Maybe someone could expound on this better? (OR.. just tell me to shut up and stop usurping the thread topic? Sorry! :eek:

11. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

It's simple really. Traidtionally religion has been integrated with a society's culture, which used to be a large part of a person's self identity. The religious rules and rituals were considered cultural norms and helped individuals identify with the larger society. America, being a secular society with no official religion and no 'culture' to speak of (save mass media and consumerism) has gone off in a different direction. Kind of a 'Brave new world' social experiment.

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree! I've always felt that my "religion" is what is in my heart. I don't need the "set rules" and "little rituals for everything".

The best thing for my blood pressure is to avoid those Halloween bashing threads, although I often find them humourous. It seems to me that by refusing to participate in the commercial holiday of Halloween and substituting harvest festivals, etc. in it's place, Christians are actually getting closer to the original pagan festivals. Too funny. ;)

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Merry Meet you kindred souls! :) I am a spiritual mix of Buddhism and Paganism and Christianity. Everyday is a spiritual day. The countryside is my church. God is all around, within woods, and within animals, as well as within us. Samhain is a Blessed Day and may your Samhain be Blessed :)

14. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Oh I wish you could too! :) But the veil is thin regardless of where one is. I am already dreaming of my loved ones past. Isn't it jutst exquisite. My very best friend is not Pagan and she calls it the Spirit of Mary on the Earth. So you see, hurtful words and hateful ideas should be pitied. Anyone with an open mind can understand this special time for what it is. Don't be troubled. You have a beautiful time and a special understanding they might never have.

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango, I'm from the same spiritual mixture. Some of my friends call me a "polka-dot". LOL...

Samhain is my FAVORITE day of the year and October/November are my favorite months of the year.

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

:haha:
    When we draw our circles this Samhain, let us invite each of us, wherever we are. The more the merrier and the more healing and kinship we might bring to our world. Goddess is alive. Magic is afoot. :worship:

17. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Fascinatingly enough... I found my answer at lunch time in a book by Doreen Virtue:

"When humans first landed upon this great planet, they were not accustomed to taking control over their lives to such a degree. So, they built in certain dependencies that were of thier own invention. And thus, they restricted themselves with regulations and rules. These were created due to humans' inherent distrust of thier own inner guidance system."

Now, that sounds about right to me! Next paragraph:

"The bodies that you possess are part of this massively contained experiment, in which humans seek to counter thier independence with the mastery of their free will. As such, they inadvertently restrict themselves by pouring their soul into a container, which is the body, and then running aout with focus on maintaining that body. Such exertion is a distraction from the central point of the essence of one's being, the mightly love within."

18. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I learned more about Wicca after my daughter leaned that way (and my grandson's Religion and Family requiredment for Cub Scouts required him to explain to an adult who was NOT his parent his family's spiritual beliefs) I have no argument. In fact, as a Greenie, I heartily endorse Wicca's admonition to "tread lightly on this earth".

I am trying to develop more of A Zen outlook. God really spoke to me once, to answer a prayer (the answer was NO!) but he never said that Christianity was the only way to me.

19. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

I lean toward the Wicca/Native Amercian spiritual beliefs myself... I always felt like such a hypocrite when I was in church.... not really sure why. I'm a VERY spiritual person, just not religious.....me and organized religion do not get along.....I think that is why, when I started exploring 'alternative'[although in reality, they were the first] religions, I felt like I was finally HOME!!!!!! Here is something I can agree with, understand, and practice!!!
    Happy Samhain all and Blessed Be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I think most TRUE christians, and anyone that actually BELIEVES in their faith, are much more tolerant of differing beliefs. I mean, it ALL boils down to the same thing. It's kind of like taking a different road to get to the same place..............you'll still get there................... :)

20. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

By reading all of these soothing posts, I feel like I've witnesses a group of sincere prayers.

thank you