Lame pig question

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by frog1437, Oct 11, 2006.

1. frog1437

frog1437 Well-Known Member

I have a 1 1/2 year old sow. When she stands she is fine but as she tries to walk she falls over to the right on her hind legs like they do not work. Sometimes it is so bad she drags herself to the feed bowl.. I have waited to see if it would get better on its own but it seems to be the same daily.. I had to move her couple of days ago and i wrapped a sling around her mid section to try and help her stay steady for the walk she got spooked and drug me about 10 feet without missing a step.. Anyone have any ideas i could try before I put her down.. Thanks

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Frog,

How heavy is this sow? From your description, the two most likely causes are spinal abscess or Leg Weakness Syndrome although the latter is more common in boars. In either case the prognosis isn't good. But, I wouldn't want you to cull on what I've said and feel that you would be better discussing it with a vet if you have one who knows anything about pigs.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. frog1437

She's not over weight I would say about 330 - 350 lbs Pretty muscular.. Never had any problems till now.. Symptoms started about 3 weeks ago..She has had 1 litter but that was about 6 months ago.. Guess she would still be alright to slaughter ? I would like to breed her 1 more time she is a full blooded Tam and around here not easy to find.. But as my luck would have it to the dinner table she goes.. Probably give her 2 weeks till I can get everything in place (just moved). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

Time to butcher. :shrug:

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

If her rear muscles don't work, how is she going to stand for a boar?? I would cull her now. I wouldn't want to keep genetics out of her in case it is hereditary. No matter what she is or how good she looks. I have to argue with my husband all the time about these things. Pretty and pedigree isn't anything if they can't walk or move good. Put the poor thing out of her misory.

6. frog1437

Sorry Buck, little miscomunication I would LIKE to breed her again. You are very right in her condition it would be impossible. Even if she was walking fine tomorrow I am not sure I would be willing to chance it.

7. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

This is the end of the line for that sow, its probably genetic.. bad hips are one of the most common problems with breeding hogs,Tams and other heritage hogs will be much more likely to passon the trait as they are not raised on concrete which would have blown her hips out at 6 months of age...Most confinement hogs with bad hips are culled out of the replacement gilt pen before they even are breeding age. I like to have my sows on concrete for a period of time before i keep their blood line....This sow and all her gilts need to be culled.

8. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Frog,
    I'm a "learner" and by that I mean that if anything untoward occurs with any of my stock I want to know why. That usually mean getting the vet out. I would call your situation untoward and although I've put forward two possible causes, nobody actually knows. I would be getting the vet out before I made any hasty decisions because I would want to know what it was, why it happened, can I avoid it in the future, is it genetic?

I know vets don't come cheap but hasty, ill-informed decisions can be very expensive. 30 years ago the Tamworth were two a penny, nowadays they are counted as a rare breed and I think the same applies to the States. While I suspect that unfortunately your sow has got to the end of the road, you need to find out what her problem is before culling her progeny - assuming that you have kept any of them.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

9. frog1437

Thanks for all the info.. I have not been able to find a local vet that has experience with pigs.. In my phone calls I found 1 that would come shoot her with with some concosion that would help her for a while.. But if I am going to be eating her who wants that ? I guess I will do as planned to the freezer she goes.. Thanks