lame pet pig, need help

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by SDjulieinSC, Sep 15, 2006.

1. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

I know that most of you don't keep them as pet's, but I'm a weirdo so I do.
    He is lame in what seems to be his right front foot. He is really bad when he first starts walking but improves after he's been moving for a while. I don't see any injuries and I don't think his hoof is too long. Could it be arthritis? Is there anything I can give to help with pain? He must not be too miserable as he is still eating and drinking but I hate to see him hobbiling along.
    The vet said that bute would not do much for him and anything else would need to be given in such a large dose that it would be very costly. She did say I might try some glucosamine/chondriton(sp?) from the health food store.
    Any of you have any ideas ( other than freezer camp) for me?

2. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I am new to pigs and dont know. I hope it turns out the best for you

3. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

You can buy Glucosamine/Chondroitin at the drug store much cheaper than at a health food store. If you have a Walgreens in your area, they frequently have Buy One, Get One Free.

4. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We buy ours at (Gasp) Wal-Mart 120 tablets for $17.89.

I has worked wonders on our (gasp) Guard Dog and our inside Chi dog.

If the vet cannot find out anything obvious, I would use it for sure. We call it our miracle drug.

5. Earthbound

Earthbound Well-Known Member

Meloxacam (sp) works wonders on pigs, it's an anti-inflamatory and pain killer that is often prescribed for dogs with hip problems. I have one of mine on it and it made a noticeable difference. Sorry for the spelling mistakes....
    corry

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i give my crippled pig glucosamine every day and it makes a huge difference in her mobility.

7. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Thanks to all. I'll get some today and give it a whirl!

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

glucosamine chondroitin is simply ground up cartilage and for all practical purposes cartilage is cartilage. If you buy commercial chicken there's a lot of cartilage on the breastbone and the knees. the stuff in the stores is usually from sharks where they are netted, they cut off the fins and throw the rest back into the ocean.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter