Lame goat question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tltater, Jul 15, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I went to run some errands today and came back to my one LaMancha limping on her right rear leg. She puts it down and bares some weight on it so shouldn't be broken but it obviously is painful. She will try to bite at it occasionally. I looked the foot over, didn't see any cuts or anything, just did the hooves about a week ago they are hard and not soft with no foul smell or anything. Anything else I should be looking for?

Thanks for anyhelp!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Try squirting some Dr. Naylors Hoof and Heal between the cloves of her hoof. That area seems to be tender on some goats when their ground or bedding is damp. Kinda like the crud we can get between our toes when the weather is muggy.

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

See if she has any swelling or heat anywhere on the leg. I just had a baby doing the same thing and noticed her thigh was swollen. Took her to the vet and the diagnosis was a bad bruise. That was last weekend, and she's largely over it. Not saying that's what's going on with yours, but the swelling, if there is any, will at least help you locate the area of trouble.

4. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Does she seem like she seem like she is just dragging it, but in the air? We have a little lamancha doe that was limp on her back right leg. The vet was here on Friday, and we had her check her out. She has a torn ligament. The vet had to put a cast on her. For pain, she told us to give Bute pills. Ours, had a swelled hip/leg area.
    Good luck with her!!
    Heather

5. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Went out and did a thorough investigation on the leg(with some grain bribery!) I'll try to explain where I found the swelling. If you were to look at the hoof from the front, go up to where I would say the ankle is, there is some swelling in the front. Not visible by eye but could tell by touching it. She didn't have a problem with my poking and prodding, or bending and straightening but if I tried to put her foot down on the ground like it should be, she would kick so obviously painful to put down. Thinking she probably bruised it and will keep an eye on things. She is eating, drinking and being her normal Queeny self so not too worried.

Thanks to all who replied!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY