Lame Deer on Property-Should I Report Possible Chronic Wasting Disease?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fin29, Nov 30, 2005.

1. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Last week we spotted two does on our property, both of which were limping quite badly. We could only see them with binoculars, so I don't have any other details other than that when both of them tried to walk, their hindquarters would drop toward ground, though they never fell down. I realized this is a primary symptom of Chronic Wasting Disease, so I'm wondering if any of you who are familiar with the CWD problem could advise me as to whether it would be the right thing to do to report the animals to the game warden. I realize that they may have been hit by a car or they might be carrying around some lead in their legs, but the fact that there were two together showing the same signs has me wondering. I don't want to disrupt the whole circle of life thing, knowing these lame does will probably be food for the coyotes who also like to stalk my broilers. On the other hand, I want to preserve the health of the deer population, and I do know how contagious CWD is among the deer. I'm also not too keen to call the state in unless I really need them or if I'm doing something for the greater good.

So what would you do--call the warden or leave it be?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would call...but realize they are likely to brush it off being hunting season but they may also jump right onboard as CWD is a huge problem!!!

They could at least attemp to dart them to check...unusual for two to be together limping unless it is something hereditary because generations of does do band together....my parents have a big doe that visits nightly that has a bum leg....

I'd hate for CWD to get into my goat herd....it is possible for them to get some kind of menengial worm from deer....not sure if its the same as CWD

3. CindyOR

CindyOR Well-Known Member

I raise reindeer, and feel you should definitely contact your game warden and report this. I haven't heard of any cases yet in Maine, but there is quite a bit of activity in Vermont & NY and surrounding areas. Deer have a large travel range.
    The concern about the disease spreading is quite real. If the deer dies out in the wild, there is concern about how the disease is spread. I have heard that as the carcass rots and goes into the soil, then grass grows there, as other deer eat the grass, the disease can spread that way. And if other animals feed on the dead carcass the disease can spread. So if the game people can get the deer off the land and in for testing, and destroy the carcass, that would be better for all.
    Hope they don't have it, but whitetail do get CWD, and are rampant spreaders of the disease.

Cindy from OR

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Please keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks from the County.
    Chas

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

they probably got clipped by large bore bullets where the idiot hunter was bigger into boresize than shot placement. probably had a 5 round clip and let loose on them and just wounded.

should go put em down and cut out the spoiled meat before it spreads too far.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Get them darted and if like Paranoid thinks they've been shot offer to "rescue" the edible meat. :D

Kenneth in NC

7. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah....I'd be more inclined to think wounded. I've had them come thru my place with arrows hanging out of their backside. What kind of hunter shoot at a deer with bow and arrow while it is running away ?

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I've only seen chronic wasteing once in Wyoming. It was a three point muley. It walked very slowly with it's head down constantly licking it's muzzle. It had mucous ( Snot) dripping off it's nose in streams as well. It's body shook with intermittent tremors. It acted as if it was in a stupor as to its ability to think and act on anything including me less than two yards in front of it. The game warden said this is what it was. I told him where it was , I guess he found it. shadowwalker

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

CWD hasn't shown up in Maine (yet) so it's most likely that they're wounded. If it wasn't hunters it could have been coyotes, bobcats, dogs or accidental. Bobcats have always gone for the throat in the kills I've come across.

It's worth calling the warden service. I think they'll tell you to let nature take its course but you never know.

http://www.state.me.us/ifw/wildlife/cwdfactsheet.htm This is the state's fact sheet on CWD.

10. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

about the archery thing...it is easy for someone to shoot a deer in the rump. arrows fly slow and deer move fast. i actually shot one in the head before. it heard the arrow release, ducked down and spun around so that the back of it's head was where its chest used to be. the longer the shot, the more reaction time the deer has. it is also not hard to hit a twig and deflect the arrow.

some folks have access to 300 acres+ farms with larger open fields. just pick an open spot and wait. others, like me, have to hunt primarily on state land. this is often clear cut and thick as ticks on a dog. in this area i go for the big bore not the bb. i have found too many bullet holes in brush that was standing right in front of my target. the deer simply will not leave the cut-out unless they are pushed. if so then you are shooting at a moving target.

i find it odd that two deer side by side show the same symptoms. if they were both wounded what are the chances of identical maiming wounds. i think you saw what you thought you saw. i think cwd is far more wide-spread than the state agencies would like us to know. do you realize how much money is gained by any given state from the sale of hunting licenses. there are usually about a million hunters in pa. $25 per license...cha-ching.

you may also want to contact some university's wildlife program. they may be interested as well. if more than two parties are involved, action is more likely.

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I think you should call the DNR, game warden, whomever is in charge of this sort of thing in your area.

Even if it's not CWD, it's certainly something unusual, and if the animals can be helped, why not do so?

And as Kenneth in NC pointed out, you may be able to glean the harvest. <shrug>

Pony!

12. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Well, I called the warden yesterday, and would you believe it (sarcastic) they didn't call me back. Course, it has been our experience that the only way they'll call you back is if you're offering to make a contribution to them...

13. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

<sigh> I thought you'd get a good response with the regular gun season over. I like our wardens at this end of the state, with one exception. I won't get on that soapbox right now because he really ticks me off and I'd like to keep my good mood.

Have you seen the deer again?

14. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Nope. Thing that sucks is DH's doe permit zone stopped literally 1000 yards from my front door...talk about an easy target, though I definitely would have had them tested before vacuum sealing the steaks.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

It would be just the opposite around here. You can actually call the officer's cellular phone or call the office and they'll get a message to him. Even if you don't get him he will return your call the next day at the latest. The last time I called my local conservation officer he was out for dinner but called me back as soon as he got back to the truck. Something like 20 minutes or so. He was standing at my front gate less than an hour after I called him.

I would try to let the DNR know about it. They (the local DNR Game Warden) specifically asked me to keep an eye out for any CWD type behavior. They also asked if I would save heads for examination. We don't have it here yet thankfully but they said they would like to monitor as widely as possible to see if it makes an appearance.

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Possibilities....to contact
    My husband's step brother used to work for IF&W Tom McLaughlin...but I think he is now Sheriff up near Wytopitlock ( at least that was his plan a few years ago)

Harry Vanderweide
    Sportsmans Alliance of Maine
    Folks at what used to be Fleury's (in Winthrop)

17. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I called the Sidney barracks. I think a local cop's a warden. Might try him after we get some more snow to track them.

Course, they're eating the apple falls in the orchard lately...maybe they're just drunk. :rolleyes:

18. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

You are quite misinformed. CWD is not spread from the grass. Deer are actually somewhat of a carnivore and will actually chew on bones and the like for the calcium. They will also paw and eat the dirt under a decomposed carcass for the same minerals.
    Other animals, ie. coyotes, crows, large cats etc. can not contract CWD as it is a spongeform disease and there brains are not affected by it. The also cannot spread CWD unless the are in direct contact with a living deer will the blood is still wet on them.(Highly unlikey to ever happen).

Would I report it, depends. I would try to observe these deer for a closer conformation as to the injury they are suffering from. CWD is also a withering disease, look to see if these animals look thin or otherwise incapacitated.
    Please do not over react to the CWD scare that the media is trying to impose on the general public. Do some research on the disease itself. This disease hs ben around for along long time. It has been documented in CO for at least 40 some years. Here in WI it has been documented for well over 20 years. This is just another way for them to try and eradicate the herd. It is not tranferable to humans. So before anyone overreacts please do the research.

19. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

Its called a quartering away shot and the deer reacting the string. Please research the hunting methods before you jump on the bandwagon that we are all bad.

20. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

A: I didn't say "you were all bad"....kindly refrain from putting words in my mouth. ( or fingers....hehe )

B: The last one I saw, the arrow was SHOT IN THE RUMP FROM BEHIND...slightly to the left of the annus......not a shot in the side of the hip where the deer jumped ahead of the arrow.....since I've been hunting for approximately 45 years and know nothing about it, kindly give me your expert opinion as to where the hunter was in relationship to the deer, and if you conclude as I did, that the twit was likely directly behind it, what chance did the twit have of making a clean kill ?

I have no problem with hunting. I have a problem with knucklehead 'hunters' that come from town and let fly arrows, buckshot, and bullets at anything vaguely resembling a deer and don't bother to track it 5' since it didn't fall over dead.