Lambs not growing like we would like...any advice?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Jul 5, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Our lambs that we have in the barn for 4-H aren't growing as we would like. We wormed them about 1 month ago. We are feeding almsot 3 pounds of feed per day, per lamb. Whole Barley, Whole Corn and a handful of Alfalfa Pellets. Is there anything we can also feed to kep them gain weight? The lambs also have full access to mineral, salt and free choice hay and water.

Anything we can do to make them gain? Put them outside in a small pasture, and feed them there? What grains or supplements will help with weight gain?

Also we have one market lamb (to be market lamb), he is about 65 lbs right now but he is getting more of a hay belly than meat on his bones, he looks rather thin than anything? we did worm him and that helped this was a month ago. Should we worm again? What can we do for this lamb?

Melissa

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    When is your fair. Remember these lambs are putting most of that food into growing their frame size and won't start to fill out until about a month before fair. Your feed probably needs more protien. I would see if your feed store has anything formulated especialy for show lambs. Show lambs shouldn't have acces to pasture a small dirt run is fine but a great big pasture encourages more movment than you want. I would take away the hay they don't need it and that's the source of your hay belly look. A small handfull of alfalfa or oat hay is all they need. Another thing you can do is add molasses to their feed and put in cracked or rolled grains instead of whole ones. How old are your lambs?

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sorry to disagree but I can only guess your protein level, it might be a problem but may not be. I always leave hay with all my sheep and lambs if they don't want it they won't eat it. I'd guess you have worms under control but maybe not, what did you worm with? They could have tape worm if you used Ivomec, and not Safeguard. Two other possibilities are low level coccidia hampering gains, (you'd need a vet to treat that) and selenium deficiency. (you and I are in a very deficient area) I know you gave a supplemental dose at birth but that's long gone they may need another shot. It only lasts about a month. Some vitamin E (brewers yeast) would ensure selenium uptake so add a little to the feed. Oh and barley can cause a selenium deficiency so while its a terrific feed and you should feed it just know it has that side effect at times.

4. ONThorsegirl

Our local feed stores don't have any feed specializing for show lambs.

So if we up the protein level what can we add?

Also these lambs are North Country Cheviots and a couple Crosses. It seems once they get to about 55 ish pounds they just stop, normally we don't show many of the cheviots and show the crosses. I'm not happy with how they are turning out.

Melissa

5. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

We have Hampshires and the man we bought our Hamps from said to feed the lambs around 16%. Our mix comes from the co-op and is just a mixture of whole milo, rolled corn, whole oats, molasses and bean meal. They do have access to pasture and are probably a little fatter than we'd like, but if they're penned up, I would think they should have some kind of hay because because they need that for proper rumen. That's just my opinion. Maybe that breed of sheep just doesn't grow that fast. Around here everyone shows Hampshires, Suffolks, Dorsets or crosses thereof.

6. Ross

If you need more protein you could add more pellets but I'd add roasted soy bean or micro beans. What percent protein is the pellets?

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

How about boss added fat and nice coats ???

8. Goatsandsheep

Goatsandsheep Well-Known Member Supporter

This is what we do for are 4-h lambs. Feed 4% of body weight are feed is 16% protein, we worm once a month switching every two month between ivomice and panucar, every one is feed separate they get 15-20 mins to eat grain. No exercise till weight is 100 pounds, you can work on setting up and leading before 100 pound. You may try feed 3 times a day. Hay is feed together in a big feed. Good luck

9. ONThorsegirl

Alfalfa Pellets have a protein % of 17.

Whats the difference between Alfalfa Pellets and Rabbit Pellets, 1 % and like $4.00? Would there be something in Rabbit Pellets that are bad for sheep? lol I'm just thinking about the money you save.

Melissa

10. Patty0315

I can think of copper for one. Look around you may be able to find pellets cheaper.

11. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Rabbit pellets have added copper. Penny wise, pound foolish. :rolleyes:

I would suspect a sub-clinical coccidia infection for your lamb's lack of growth. That and a lack of proper protein level. The coccidia can be diagnosed by a stool sample taken to your vet. It will also tell you if your de-wormer is working, and when its necessary to de-worm.

Lisa at Somerhill

12. ONThorsegirl

Thanks I figured it wouldn't work.

Alright thanks, I will check out the coccidia issue. Maybe thats it, we have never had coccidia before but I will definitly look into it. Thanks,

Mleissa

13. Patty0315

I am not sure about the copper content but most feeds have it added. Feed a medicated lamb grower and your cocc problem will be solved. As far as worming what did you worm with and at what dosage?

There are lots of different ways to up protein , soy bean meal is another. Boss I like because it is high in fat and works wonders on there coats.

14. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Hi Patty
    What is "boss"? I read your first post, and was scratching my head, thinking it was a typo. :rolleyes:
    Lisa at Somerhill

15. Ross

Black oil sunflower seed I think. Can't say I've noticed it here but maybe.
    Melissa the pellet sounds like a complete ration not a suppliment. Look for a protein suppliment around 35% protein and cut back the amount. Actually you really need to get a complete ration formulated most feed dealers can do this for you and maybe buying in bulk (have you got a gravity wagon or bin?) so you could both get it cheaper and have decox added to the pellets at mixing you need a vet script to the dealer for this. OR maybe there's a calf grower without added copper but has Rumensin (Monensin) in it. It's as good as Decox and no script. If I were betting on a solution to your problem I would say it's Selenium, tape worm, ration or coccidia in that order.

16. Patty0315

Yes Boss = black oil sunflower seed.

I have had a problem with selium this year. It would not be a bad idea to hit them with bose either.

17. ONThorsegirl

So:
    Alright, Thank you everyone.

If we were to feed a lamb creep 16% would that fix the coccidia problem and the upped protein, I can't find any type of lamb grower around here, not many formulated feeds at our local feed stores. We can get ewe ration 15%, lamb creep 16% or 15%. and then the whole grains. we can also get a supplement that is 36% but we wont need a full tonne of feed and isn't the only way to feed the supplement is by the tonne or can you buy a bag and feed it in small amounts????

BOSS, How much per lamb do you give? I can get that very easy, we sell it by the 50lb bags. I work at a feed store, the one I work at is kinda expensive so we buy our feed at another store :p but all of our products at this one.

I will buy a bottle of selenium and give them all a shot.

We wormed with Ivermec drench, what else could we worm with?

Melissa

18. Patty0315

Valbazan is another wormer. Boss a couple of handfulls at a time and work up . Lots of good fats in there and also roughage {sp} The selenium doeas not work alone you also need vit e with it. I forgot you can buy it over the counter up there . I may just have to make a trip to Kingston. The creep feed has to be medicated to work for the coccidia.

Good luck , Patty

19. Ross

Coccidia may not be the problem (it's just a possibility) but just moving to a higher percent ration won't fix it (although it will strengthen the lambs and THAT will help) . Cocci thrive in weakened animals (we all have it to a small degree, people sheep birds etc. although they are not comunicable normally) so if the lambs are weakened from a selenium deficiency then giving the selenium might improve their over all health and reduce a minor cocci problem. You'd need a sulfa to correct a serious outbreak of cocci. Worming with Ivomec will not kill tape worm, so you use double dosed Safeguard (or valbazen, or a couple others that slip my mind) to kill those.

20. ONThorsegirl

The selenium we buy is selenium-E, assuming this is Selenium and Vitamin E. I have to work tomorrow so I will pick that up along with the BLACK OIL SUNFLOWER SEEDS,

Whats the maximum of the BOSS you would feed to the lambs?

Yes I know about the ivomec, we have ivomec but we will definitly have to pick another type of wormer up.

Question about wormers: The horse paste type, in the syringe, There is safegaurd paste, can this be used or do you have to buy the liquid larger amount. I though someone had mentioned that they use the paste type.

Sorry for all the stupid Questions.

Melissa