Lamb Unable to Stand

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by CountryFried, Feb 24, 2005.

1. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Has anyone had the situation where a newborn lamb (I just found), is unable to stand up. I am wondering if she has a broken leg , but she attempts to stand. Her mouth is warm, and she wasn't very cold when I brought them in. I am trying to warm her by a blow dryer, but she still can't stand. Even tho' she struggles to.
    She is baaa-ing quit a bit, and holds her head up well. Just very floppy.
    Thanks,
    Sherry

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I don't think Tenn is one of those seriously selenium deficient areas but you could and should check. She could just need a little boost of energy, I use 6 cc's of injectable dextrose as an oral drench (you shouldn't use mroe than that as first food should be colostrum) but sometimes that little boost is all they need. Try holding it up and getting its legs working. Some are frustratingly slow. It may have a birthing injury to its spine or a broken bone but you should be able to tell if there is paralysis or disjointed bones.

3. CountryFried

Thanks VERY much. I will get right on it.

4. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I can't believe that this post is here this morning. I just encountered this problem last night. My neighbor across the street -a great goat guy- came over to help me with my ewe. Spot (the ewe) had just had a little black ewe lamb and she was not getting up. The GGG said he had lost a couple of baby goats and it looked like "white muscle disease" which is caused by a lack of Selenium. In our area we are supposed to have plenty of Selenium ,however, GGG had his soil and doe tested. They were both severely lacking. So here is the solution we are following -and if anyone differs in opinion PLEASE CHIME IN. We will be giving BO-SE (Selinium and vitamin E) to the remaining ewes who are due to lamb in the next 30 days and L-Se to the 2 new babies on the ground (after the little black ewe was born we got a surprise white ewe an hour later :D ). Hope this info is helpful.

5. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

STOP! Read the label, talk to a vet. As I understand it, you do NOT give Bo-se to pregnant ewes. At this point in the cycle, the best you can do is hit each lamb and each ewe with an appropriate dose at birth, then add Bo-se to your list of things to do just before turning in the rams in the fall. I just talked to a very good friend at our 4-H meeting this week, talking about just this subject, and she told me that she gives half the recommended annual dose to her ewes before breeding, and the other half just after lambing. Her lambs are much stronger and faster to get going than ours. Our flocks share bloodlines heavily, and as far as I can see, that's the only real difference in management.

Susan

6. CountryFried

It's been 7 hours since I intervened . I've milked the ewe several times and mixed it with milk replacer, to which the lamb gobbled it up.

I did the 6cc of dextrose. I've just gotten a dosage of selenium from the vet to use. He also gave an antibiotic. He gave me just one dose of the selenium, said you can overdose the lambs easily. So I guess I'll do the one dose and see if she improves.

Several people have emailed to say it could just be from a hard birth. Maybe folded in half that would cause it.
    Thanks everyone for the info !

7. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Susan, Thanks for your input. I will ask the vet about this. I taked to his office staff this morning and they didn't mention anything like this. What I have read though is "BO-SE is an injectable...... and is given to the ewe from two to four weeks before lambing." (from Raising Sheep the Modern Way)