Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,852 Posts
Neat photos Melissa.

I would think the lambs would be wiggling like crazy. But at least they are cooler now. Are you or Lindsey going to go join the Fiber people and spin that wool?

Angie

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The actual shearing was fun to watch. Roy has done this for years so he is pretty good at it. Once he got them into position they did not move much. He said it is much easier to shear a pregnant ewe than a market lamb. He usually does the ewes a few weeks before they have the lambs. I gather the lambs are done in July as it makes them cooler and they eat more, have to make weight for the fair in September.

He also said this wool is not that good for spinning as it is not very long. I think it is supposed to be about 6 inches and most of this is much shorter. I don't know much about it though, someone with experience can probably tell us much more.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Very nice pics. I love to see everyone wearing jeans, it shows how much cooler it is where you are! A picture of a group of people shearing animals in Oklahoma in July would have everyone wearing shorts!

Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Looks like your daughter's project is going well. What will she do with the wool if it is not spinning material?

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction, LINDSEY is a sheep-farmer! But it feels a lot like I am. I was holding one of the lambs and I said to Roy, "I am trying to figure out how this got to be my project!" He started laughing and James said, "Melissa when she gets her check you should get half." I said, "What about your Dad, he is doing a lot of work too." He ponders for a moment and said, "Well Lindsey gets half and you and Dad get to split the other half!"

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Melissa said:
It is sitting in a bag in the barn right now. Roy said it can be used for mulch.
Well, I guess it was a good (and fun) learning experience. That counts.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
LOL Isn't that the way it goes?
Christian was dog sitting, yet it was me whom did all the fetching, getting and so on. I thought, "This isnt MY job!" LOL
I would have much rather wrestled sheep to be honest. :)
God Bless,
Michele

1 - 11 of 11 Posts