Lamb scours

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by MichaelK, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

I have a 4 week old Katahdin ewe lamb who has been very healthy and happy.
    She has grown like wildfire.
    This AM I noticed she was a bit sluggish and found that she has yellow diarreah.
    Probably too much milk?
    At what point do I feed electrolytes and separate her from the mother? :confused:

2. This is what I do for my Katahdin lambs - not saying it is correct but you can try it. First of all it is a good sign if it is just yellow, probably just to much milk. But, I generally take the lambs temp. - if the temp is good then I just give it some pepto bismol and, you can also give it probiotics - which I never have so I just use yogurt instead. This seems to firm it up. If there is a fever then I give Penecillian for 4 days. Hope it helps.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would do the same but would skip the yogurt. Mostly because I never have the vile stuff. I'd probably use a sulfa antibiotic instead of Pen, as it will check cocci at the same time

4. except coccidia scours aren't generally yellow are they? But when I suspect coccidia - I give them cocci-bolo-tabs. (Sulpha drug) However, I have had very little coccidia problems in Katahdins - that's why I use the tablets, cuase they keep for a long time.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Cocidia scours are bloody just the sulfa drug will treat a basic enteritis too and still keep a secondary cocci flare up in check. I don't know that any antibiotic is needed really but if I felt inclined I'd probably use a sulfa drug.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Thanks for the info. :)
    Took her temp and it was 105!!
    Gave her 2cc.penicillen intramuscular for three days, (six doses) now she is fine!
    Temp at 103.5

By the way my ewe that was sick since April still has diarreah!! Almost 2 months straight. Still eating, and otherwise healthy, no signs of weight loss or wasting! We even did a complest CBC and all functions are OK. Johnes culture is not back yet but the blood test for it was negative.
    Guess this sheep just has a weak intestinal track due to a possible earlier parasite load or grain overload????

They say I should cull her but I think I want to breed her first since she is one of our friendliest and happens to be a brown one.
    Any thoughts from any one.
    Thanks

7. It depends on what the tests results are. But, if she doesn't have Johne's, and you don't mind the mess or hassels - you can keep her. But, if she has a finicky (sp?) stomach it may pass on to her offspring. Just depends on what caused it I guess..... I personally would get rid of her - but that is just my prefrence - trouble animals are gone here.