lamb releasing its wool at the skin

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by livestockmom, May 3, 2006.

1. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why a lamb ( Bottle fed Feb. lamb ) would release its wool?
    It's coming off at a slight touch and soon she will be completely naked...no temp, happy and go-lucky... I have never heard of this, have you?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Hmm I've had sheep start to shed before but nothing close to loosing the whole coat. Sheep have almost all but lost the ability to shed so whenever the do you know something's wrong. What Kind of milk are you feeding, is it high in protiens? Has it been extremely hot where you are? Have you examined his coat for bugs? If he remains in high spirits I wouldn't get to upset If it doesn't subside or he doesn't start growing a new coat I would have a vet come out to check him over.

3. shepsrus

shepsrus Member

Sometimes a high fever (at some point in the past) will cause wool slip--other times it can be caused by stress. I've never seen a naked sheep--it grows back!

I would just watch him closely and make sure he doesn't have any coughing etc.

Lesley (Vet in WI)

4. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Isn't this caused by a release of cortisol? Or that was my understanding when I saw this happen in pups after an illness.

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses... It had me puzzled as I have never seen or heard of this happening...she has always been of great health. The new owner changed her to a new formula but one for lambs and the same breakdown as the one she was on...that was my first thought was a reaction to the formula. She is otherwise just as peppy and happy as ever. A vet is coming for a ranch call so I will pick her up and bring her here to have her looked at...
    my vet was stumped. 1/2 of the wool is gone and she is just as smooth as a babys bottom - no irritation, no fever, great weight gain...
    hmmm... stress? The vet mentioned that as well..
    She comes Monday so I will update you on her thoughts....
    In the meantime, if you have any more thoughts as to what could cause this, I would love to hear.
    Thanks again...