Lamb Prices

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Siryet, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

My neighbor would like to buy two of our lambs that were born on Thanksgiving Morning. I would like to sell them to him but I have no idea of a fair price both to him and myself. They are not weaned yet but he wants them after weaning.

They are 1/2 St Croix and 1/2 Barbados blackbelly and are not registered. He wants them to raise for meat.

Any price experts out there that would help me?
    Thanks
    Dennis

2. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

I'm not a price expert, but our lambs usually sell for $50. If we raise and butcher ourselves, then the price goes up! We have border cheviots, so not a large difference in size from your sheep, just different wool.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Certainly not a price expert, but I bought three day or two-day old Suffolk lambs last spring for $30 each here in Northwest Iowa. When they are weaned, this farmer sells them for $50 each. They are great meat animals and I spin the wool for rugs (certainly not good wool for clothing - too rough!). I raised the lambs on goat's milk and they're doing great. :)

-Sarah

4. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Dennis,

If you go to www.vdacs.virginia.gov/marketnews/sheep.html you can find the current market prices in your area. Looks like this are what prices are (per pound) currently:

Feeder Lambs: Midwest: 40-60 lbs 140.00-144.00; 60-80 lbs 120.00-138.50; 80-110 lbs 105.00-124.50.

On our farm, we just step on the bathroom scale with the lamb and price accordingly per pound at current market price.

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Thank you all for your information. We are going to offer them for $50.00 each at weaning time and we shall see.

Thank you again and enjoy life

Dennis

6. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Lucky you Sarah. We can't find Suffolks here in AZ. We like their meat the best. We would like to get bummer lambs and raise them on goat's milk too. We use the a.m. milk for ourselves but have to throw out the p.m. milk as our freezer is full.