Lamb needs help but what to do?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Leslie, May 11, 2006.

1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

HI,

I have a lamb that is a week old. It has been nursing and putting on weight. However, it's front legs seem weak. Sometimes it backs up and drags it's front legs other times it falls forward. Any ideas..... Thanks- Leslie

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd try a shot of Vit E selenium but we're seriously deficient here.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Gave her 1 cc of Bo SE and 1 cc of B12. Hope that sounds right to you. I checked my feed and it contains Selinium (hope my spelling is in the ballpark) but no E. I read that White Muscle Disease usually presents with a sheep leaning on its front legs. Hmmm....I really don't have any more ideas. Just hope she makes a full recovery. She's as cute as can be!

4. canadianmandy

canadianmandy Certified Animallover!

O so sorry to hear. I tried to bottle raise a lamb with leg problems caused from a selenium dificiency. But b/c the previous owners didnt give here the proper care (BoSe shots) and made her live in a small box her bones turned brittle and she broke a leg trying to walk. Unlike your lamb her legs were stuck in a bent down positions (but I got them straight). My advice is to get her some BoSe and make sure she gets alot of exercise. But Id keep the lamb close by b/c she will fall easy pray to coyotes or mountain lions or even stray dogs. (Flickas previous owners had another lamb with the same problem as your exept with the hind legs and they kept it out with the herd and The mom and baby were both killed by a mountain lion) I hope your lamb gets better!

5. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

I am stalling mother and baby at night. They graze where I can see them by day. The baby is up and walking around but just not perfect. I have raised sheep on this property for 4 years and this is the first time I've seen a lamb do this. I would think that if we were selenium deficient we'd know before now. But then again....

6. canadianmandy

7. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Amazingly....She has bounced back! Usually (for me) a sick sheep is almost always a dead sheep. She looks great. Thank you for asking.

8. canadianmandy

Your welcome glad she is better!!!