Lamb Jackets

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Thought I'd post a picture of the lamb jacket my wife made. Hardly original its a home version of the Woolover brand. It is woolen from a woven blanket so it won't work as well as the needlefelted version but much cheaper and mass produced from a couple of second hand store blankets.
    [​IMG]

2. Ross

And a shot of it on a lamb. 3/4 Rideau arcott Polypay, mum is a first timer PB Rideau, oddly they only drop one lamb for the first year (as a yearling) as a rule. After that that drop triplets consistantly.
    [​IMG]

3. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

These sheep look as if the wool is in ringlets. Are they a wool breed ? I'm just learning.

sherry

4. Ross

They're not supposed to be but you're right it is nice looking wool!

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I made a bunch of coats last year. Mine were all born in -35 weather. I had one ewe who hated on her baby and I had to take it off. She actually hurt its leg pushing it around. Anyway I used a fleece inside and a duck type cloth outside, elastic on 2 belly spots and one at the neck. The worked great.

6. AndreaR

AndreaR Well-Known Member

Just wondering, does anyone use jackets on their wool sheep to keep the fleeces clean? I just acquired 5 Shetlands, 2 Jacobs and the ewes are due this spring in March & April. I can see the uses for the wee lambs as it can get really cold here in Alberta, Canada. The fleeces I would love to see kept clean until shearing time to keep out the hay and straw that gets in there. Anyone do this or is it troublesome on young adult sheep?

7. Ross

If someone was enthusiastic enough to check I'm sure you'll find a post from me scorning the things, but I'll publically eat my words on that, as we're about to try it this year. I'd appreciate hearing any words on the topic myself!