Lamb and Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Rainbeau777, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Rainbeau777

Rainbeau777 Active Member

I have a newly weaned lamb that just loves the 16% laying mesh I give my chickens. Is it ok for him to eat it?

2. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't say what breed of lamb. Personally, I wouldn't do it but I raise Shetlands and they seem to have sensitive tummys. I just don't think it's a great idea especially if he has constant access to it. Maybe it would be ok for one of the big breeds, though.

3. He is a Southdown mix and wethered. He doesn't seem to have a sensitive stomach. I have been feeding him some hay and then giving him cracked corn with oats in it. He likes the chicken feed though and goes for it every time. He is only about 2 mo old.

Tracy

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

What is in the chicken feed? Would it have copper added???? I don't know much about chicken feeds, so its hard to say. Would it have Amprol in it?

5. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

YES, chicken feed has copper in it - don't feed it to sheep! Short term, you wouldn't notice effects, but long term, you can get copper toxicity. I've even heard that spreading pastures with chicken manure can boost the copper levels too high for sheep.

6. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Please do not let your sheep eat any food made for other animals. It has way too much Copper in it.

For chickens running in the same pasture as the sheep, have never had a problem. But then we do get a lot of rain here.

7. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

Is this Lambchop? :) I was just now thinking about him and how he is doing! I'll bet he's getting big! I wouldn't think he'd have a sensitive tummy (if its Lambchop he's half southdown half dorset...I don't own the southdown ram, but my dorsets aren't picky and have never seemed to have any digestive problems) I would stay away from feeding him the chicken feed, since it contains too much copper for sheep, as other people have mentioned. Our sheep do share pastures with the poultry and we haven't had a problem, but I feed the poultry outside the pasture where the sheep can't get to it. If he loves it so much, so could try a pelleted sheep feed, but he's from sheep that maintain good condition on hay or pasture alone, so its not necessary. I do give the lambs a little cracked corn with some soybean meal mixed in...they love it. Whats best for pet sheep (or any sheep you plan on keeping long term) is a diet that is mainly roughage (hay) with less grain for a healthy rumen and digestive system.
    Our sheep have gotten into the chicken feed a couple times, and they love it too, its just not good for them and can cause problems later on. Best to feed whole grains or a feed made especially for sheep.
    Leah

8. Rainbeau777

Rainbeau777 Active Member

Hi Leah! Yes, It is Lambchop. He is so cute and I just enjoy him so much! He is such a pet, and I have to admit that I still give him a bottle once in a while. He does like the chicken feed and he won't touch his cracked corn and oats. Well, he likes cracked corn. He picks it out of the oats. Also, I give him hay. I will keep the chicken feed away from him and maybe that will force him to eat his own food and hay. I wasn't worrying much about it because I haven't heard it was bad for him until now. No one around here knows which is why I wrote to this forum. Thanks for your help. I didn't know chicken feed had copper in it like goats feed. Have a great day!
    Tracy