Lamancha questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ihedrick, May 22, 2005.

1. ihedrick

ihedrick Can't stop thinkin'

I saw my first Lamancha goats today and fell in love! I wanted goats for a couple reasons; one being lawn mowers, possibly milk and milk products, and just to have a cute animal. The lady's place was very well kept and all animals on her place were healthy and clean. I need to know before committing to buying two of them is:

1. Are these goats the right type for what I want (listed above)
    2. both babies are papered. She is asking 75 for one with blotched dehorning job (she has horn nubs about 1-2 inches) and 100 for one that had good dehorning job. Is this a good price. They are ready to be weaned and are somewhat friendly.
    3. What questions should I ask her before buying them?

If there is any other things I need to consider before buying these little ladies, I'd appreciate any advice.

2. DMC_OH

DMC_OH Well-Known Member

My Sister had just purchased a couple herself. She asked me the same questions. I told her to find a breeder and talk to them about your questions. A good breeder will be more then willing to answer your questions. I would also ask them what I should be looking for in this breed. I would ask, What age or wieght they can be bred at? Do they kid easy? When is it ok to take the milk for yourself. If you are buying two does ask if you can get stud service. Also I would ask about CD&T Ect.... I am not a goat expert but this is somethings I may ask if it was me buying.

3. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Goats are not the optimal lawnmowing machine...if you want that you need to think more about sheep. LaMancha's are great goats to have good milkers with a nice butterfat to it. They are generally not demanding like some other breeds. You didn't say what sex of animals you were looking at but since you mentioned milk I'd guess at least one was female. Is getting them bred going to be an issue? They have to be for them to produce milk...what would you do with the kids...that's an issue as well. Depending on how old they are the price seems fair, we've paid around $125 up to $175 for the goats we have now, some came in milk and another came bred.
    Immunizations are something you need to ask about as well...CD&T is given anually not sure if there are any other given in your area (these vary in different areas)
    Hope this helps a bit...Good luck with your goats.

Suzyhomemaker