Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were visiting a friend in a nearby town and he has a mother with adult daughter sheep that have “LaMancha-goat” ears. :happy: The granddaughter has regular ears and her sire was a dorper. Have you guys seen elf-eared sheep?

I could not believe the gmother’s udder. She is very pg with front and rear attachments like a milk goat. Simply HUGE. Her daughter was dry with the gdau. The owner picked up the original ewe (gmother) in a group and are of mixed breed.

I didn’t have a camera to show you picx of sheep that resemble my LaMancha goats. :p
Paul

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
Hi, Paul, the Barbados-related breeds and crosses sometimes have elf or LaMancha-type ears. Maybe other breeds as well have it in the gene pool. Some people really like them and select for it.

Peg

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Peg,
Do you know if they select for milk capacity & quality? I have never seen an udder on a sheep like this one. Do you know of a breeder?
Paul

·
sheep & antenna farming
2,845 Posts
No, I don't know of a breeder anywhere in this country. Came up on another board last year from a lady in California. Sorry. Lots of people would be interested in them I think.

Peg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts