Lakota wind electric co. Does anybody know anything

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

about this particular wind genny? Does it perform as well as claimed? How much maint does it need? How hard to install, etc.

The land I'm looking at is in the catagory "4" area of OK. The manufactorer claims I can expect 290 KW hr per month on ave from this machine in this area.

http://shop.altenergystore.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AERLAK-24V

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........Cy , I , would only purchase a WindGin , If I already had a complete solar system that I could incorporate IT into . In other words , You need the solar panels , a bank of storage batteries , an inverter\controller that will accept power inputs from , solar panels , a generator , and a windgin , then the inverter will take 12vdc or 24 vdc and convert it into 120vac and the controller will take the 12vdc or 24vdc and recharge your batteries as well as supply power to the inverter . I , would invest first into the solar panels and a generator with an inverter\controller for a standalone , complete system . The , last thing on my list would be a windgin .
    ........290 kw per month at .08 per kwh is only $23.20 amonth if you purchased the power from the grid . I hope i didn't cornfuze you with my info . fordy... :)

3. Cyngbaeld

No, not confusing. I've lived off grid before with only solar panels. I'm looking at a piece of land with no electricity anywhere close. I'm planning on some solar as well. This area has excellent wind, so I would like to have a hybrid system. Where I lived before didn't have enough wind to bother with a wind genny.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

From the specs on the page that the link goes to, it looks like an awfully light generator--less that 40 pounds! And it is less than 7 foot blade diameter, so it requires some strong winds to produce rated output. However it sounds like you are considering land in an area with 16mph average windspeed, which is impressive. Not having looked at one of the Lakota units closely, but having used wind generated electricity since 1978, I would say that it looks like it could be a good unit for the money. (considering that a rebuilt Jacobs generator weighing over 400 pounds, with 14 foot diameter blades, would probably cost $6000 to $7000 if purchased from someone who sells professionally rebuilt and guaranteed generators.)
    I would want to see one and talk to people that use them first, and also get Mick Sagrillo's opinion of it.

Jim

5. Cyngbaeld

Thanks, Jim, yes, it looks like a good unit for the cost and would give more bang for the buck if it puts out the way they claim. Afraid a Jacobs would be too much, cost wise for me. I really don't need tons of power, but I would like to get an electric fridge instead of propane, in the interests of less dependence on none renewable resources. I also plan on running one or more poultry incubators and need power for those.