Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where this was supposed to be posted but,,,

I came home today to find my kitchen walls with Lady Bugs all over them. Besides vacuuming them what else can I do? This happens every year and I end up filling my little vacuum up quick and it smells really bad.

What can I do to keep them out?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind. I found the posting on lady bug swarm.

Turns out, they are not lady bugs and just have to be dealt with.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
If you found the other thread, you probably saw my post about the mulberry candles. Sounds silly, but it really is working! I had thousands and thousands of them (filled a 12-gallon trash can in just a couple of days!), but since burning the mulberry candles, I bet I haven't seen more than a dozen. It did take a couple of days of burning them nonstop, but it did work.

Then I found some mulberry "simmering liquid" at Walmart, bought an electric potpourri pot and have been using it since. No need to worry about candle flame dangers or leaving them unattended. I filled the pot up and it's been going for five or six days now without a noticeable decrease in liquid. I spent a lot of time and money on caulking and weather stripping, to no avail whatsoever. Less than twenty dollars for the potpourri burner and simmering liquid and it's a done deal! :)

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Callie, I guess you are burning the candle and simmering the mulberry liquid in the house. Do you still have the bugs swarming on the outside but they don't try to get in, or is it even keeping them away from the outside too? I'll have to get some of the stuff, thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
There are still some outside, but it seems way better than before I started burning the mulberry. I figure maybe the bugs that do get near send a "warning" to the others maybe?? lol That sounds silly, but I read where they can send signs to draw them to a place, so I figure they can also warn them away as well.

I'm still having a few inside my truck when I go out (it's parked under a carport, but open on all sides). I've been looking for a mulberry scented car freshener, but no luck so far. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts