Lady Bug Infestation

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ana Bluebird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year here in Missouri we got invaded by biting lady bugs---not your normal lady bug, but something worse. They have evidently survived winter by hiding in the cracks of our homes. Our neighbor had them crawling around their house all winter. I've tried the usual remedies for ants and such, but I still have them. And they just aren't cute anymore. Does anyone else have these? How do I get rid of them?

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

A canister vac or a shop vac is your friend. Works on yellow jackets and wasps too.

3. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

We have something that looks like a gold/brown ladybug but is in reality a Japanese beetle. Horrible little creatures. My cousin in KY says that they had these for about 3 years and recently they seem to be leaving. They are coming to AR I guess. Nothing seems to work except keeping the dead ones sucked up with the shopvac. They smell something terrible when you kill them and they stain if you leave the dead.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

the lady bugs you are seeing are beneficial insects that you should want to have around. believe me, i know how annoying they are. this winter has been so mild they never got frozen out. they are good to have around because they eat aphids and all kinds of other things. the best way to control them is to use a clean vacuum bag, vacuum them up and release them outside. the reason they bite (really a little nip that goes away pretty quick) is because they are looking for water and are tasting you to see if you fit the bill.:)

5. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Here, in Michigan, the DNR has been releasing Asian ladybugs. supposedly, farmers will use less pesticides because these ladybugs eat so many aphids. They forget to tell the farmers. Farmers hate them. They are small and get into machinery, they are everywhere, they bite. We hate them.

Very stupid idea to introduce a nonnative species. Did I mention we all hate them?

7. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

We have that problem here, too. Even as I type the buggers are bouncing off the light and landing on my head. My brother has used a fly strip hanging near the light. It works, but the dead ones do occasionally roll off the strip. They are annoying, but I try to deal with them.

8. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

I take the native aphids over the immigrant lady bugs.

9. chas

chas Well-Known Member

We have had fair success using camphorated oil, like the stuff used on cold sores.Put it on cotton balls at each door and window .They started runnin when I put one near them to see if it might work.I was skeptical at first. We didn't have near the problem after trying it. Anyone else tried it yet?
    Chas

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

It could be worse, they could go "SPLAT" on your windsheilds.....:haha:

11. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

We bombed three rooms in the house and swept up over 5 pounds of dead bugs.
    We have to use "crud killer" to get their crap off the windows because Windex doesn't phase it. They fly into our fooding when we are eating.

These guys are worse than when Auburn brought us kudzu.

12. OD

OD Well-Known Member

There were hundreds of them crawling on the inside of my back porch windows yesterday. I used a dustpan to scoop them off & throw them out the door. Dead ones are everywhere. They get in our food while we're eating & a bite of ladybug will really ruin a mouthful of mashed potatoes.
    Another example of the solution being worse than the problem.

13. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

I have them by the hundreds in my bedrooms upstairs every year. Maybe they don't bite me because I just leave them alone? They are one of my favortie fascinations. Every single one is different, like living snowflakes.

14. lizzyslivestock

lizzyslivestock Member

In WV we too have the Asian beetles. They have been here 3 or 4 years. We were told that the DNR released them to feed the wild turkeys. However they are back year after year. They are almost impossible to get rid of!!!! They come inside during the winter, fly around, bite, put off a nasty smell when they are killed, and leave tracking when they crawl up walls. They have to be smashed in order to die. Just sucking them up with a vacuum does not do the trick, they will climb out. The only good thing is that when the weather warms up they tend to go outside and leave us alone. My son and neighbor are also allergic to them and the scent causes their eyes to swell shut. I hote those little boogers!!!!!

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

16. SkyOne

SkyOne Active Member

We have the same Lady Bugs here in Texas. Since they Japanese varity has taken over we don't see or common red Ladies anymore. I've not been bitten by them and hope I don't. This last fall I couldn't walk out on the front porch for them being so thick. Wonder what they are going to release to control them?? Another imported species? Hope not!!
    Sky

17. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

And to think that we have to order them thru a garden magazine if we want them over here! :no:

18. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

From what I was told by a friend of mine who is an entomologist (bug guy) the current ladybug infestation many of us are experiencing isn't the usual ladybug we grew up with but some Asian variety of ladybug and no one is completely sure how they got here. Current thinking (at least when I talked to him about this last year) is that they came in through one of the warmer US parts and spread across the nation.

The things are an unmitigated plague here. I sweep the things up all the time and tonight I was watching TV and bit the heck out of my leg twice. The above bug phd friend of mine says they aren't biting to eat you or to hurt you they are just checking to see if you are food. All I know is in the past couple of years they have increased to plague proportions and when working around outdoors they bite constantly. They also stink to high heaven when you kill them.

If I could get my hands on the SOB who brought them here I'd personally buy the tar and feathers and donate and boil the rope. Sorta the same treatment I would give the importers of English House Sparrows, European Starlings, kudzu and a few other imported plagues.

19. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

This is the time of year they are waking up after hibernation. They will be back in the fall. The best way to get rid of them is wait until they leave, then seal up your attic as best you can. Then suck them up all winter. The fewer that leave, the fewer will return. I had them at one house, but managed to pretty much get rid of them through this method. It did take a couple years.

Jena

20. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Gotta Love it. Your tax dollars at work once again. :haha: