Ladies, what if?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Caelma, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

What if you had the opportunity to go back to
    school, start a career? Learn a trade?
    What would you take up?

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

In my opinion the only skills worth learning are those that make a better, happier home and marriage.

I'd love to learn more about canning and preserving food, gardening, sewing, cooking and making things to improve the quality of my family's life.

Lots of luck finding classes like that today in any "school".

As for a career. Been there, done that. There is no career so appealing or satisfying in life as that of wife. (And presumably mother, although that is out of my realm of experience). Spending time away from the family is never a good thing unless you are destitute and there is no other option for survival.

JMO.

donsgal

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

ok, say you're either on your own, or been married for
    years and the kids are gown and gone.

4. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I thought....and thought....and this is very hard for me because A.) I'm really happy with who I am today, and B.) there are SO MANY things I'd like to learn I don't know where to begin!

If I could "do over" I'd want to be exactly where I am today but with more formal education. I have no idea if it would actually be helpful, but at least I'd know I had it and wouldn't spend my life thinking "what if"!

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I have been married for years and plan to stay that way. No matter how long I am married, my husband and my family and my home will always be my number one priority.

If I was "on my own". I would not go back to school because my opinion is that school is a complete waste of time and money. As for a career. I find the concept stifling. If I were on my own I would be living on a farm and looking for a cowboy to marry and honing my skills as a wife for the day when that would occur. You'd be surprised what a terrific homemade loaf of bread will do for a cowboy's disposition. LOL

There is nothing OUT THERE that makes my life more whole or more fulfilling. It is all about love, companionship, and GIVING to another human being. That is what it is all about.

donsgal

6. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

If I could do it over again I would become a veterinarian specializing in leg surgery for dogs. That way I could fly all over the country fixing up all the broken legs of greyhounds at racetracks.

I am happy in my current career though...but I never turn down the chance to learn something new or go to school. I have so many hobbies I could never be bored. :)

7. olehippy

olehippy Well-Known Member

For a career:

homicide detective (except I don't want to a police officer first, straight to homicide please)

profiler

forensic scientist

For fun:

photography

pastry chef

8. Caren

Caren Well-Known Member Supporter

I would probably go back to school for an xray tech or a phlebotomist. I love being a nurse but sometimes (back when I was doing facility work) I would just like to can it all and run away!

Caren

9. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. :)
    I did and it changed my life. I became an Art Teacher K-12

veme

10. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I don't see anything in the original question that said "do over" or "repeat" life, but instead suggests you have the opportunity to change careers or learn something new. Like edayna I like where I am today, but I've long been convinced that my next career would be as a lawyer. Then I got an up close and personal look at the life of a divorce lawyer.

No thank you.

But I also got a look at the life of a family court mediator. Now, that is both a stressful and when you can get the parties to work it out probably very fulfilling line of work. And the college with the degree is a convenient 40 min drive away...

11. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

This is a good question for everyone.. not just the ladies. I am in the process of asking myself this as my life will be changing come June when the kidling graduates. I don't own a home, the kidling is very seriously considering joining the Navy after graduation, and I don't wish to stay at my going nowhere job. I will be free to go and do just about anything but I'm not sure what I want to do. I have started a list of things that I enjoy to help guide me. So far I've got driving long distances, (so maybe driving a truck), building computer systems, (so maybe computer repair) and internet research (can't figure out this one yet)

12. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

13. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I would also be extremely interested in computer forensics.

/VM

14. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

I am with Donsgal on this one....I wouldnt want a career, not now that the family and farm is my number one priority. I would go and learn a trade that would have to do with cheese making, only so I could make it at home and sell the products.
    I wouldnt stop milking my goats to do something like school. So sorry....talking to people on the land may be hard to get them to think about going back to the class room which is like 2 lifetimes behind them. I have children who are at University studying to be a Nurse and my last baby is about to go to grade 1 at Primary school....I am 45 and have no aspirations to go back to school.

15. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

If money were no problem, and I could become anything---I think I would choose to be come an author of children's books.... I have a million ideas floating around in my head but proper English and spelling were always very hard for me... So, I would go back to school and take some English classes and maybe I could find someone who could teach me to spell, sound out words, phonics, what ever I missed!!

And a vet -tech degree would be nice--so, I would/could know what to do for my animals when they needed something... QB

16. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I would have married my first love, moved in with my Grandmother, cared for her while farming her property, raised 6 kids and been a stay at home mom.

17. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Anything in the field of computer technology. It's wide open now and changing rapidly.

18. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I decided to go to college on the verge of turning 40. I wanted a BS in sustainable ag. That college is 100 miles from me. It was unrealistic with a family. I switched my major to English; my other passion is writing. That college is 50 miles from me. It was better but still unrealistic. I withdrew in May of last year. If I were to go back I would finish the BA in English or study for work in Cooperative Extension.

19. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OMG, there are tooooo many things! If I lived 6 lifetimes, and had unlimited funds, there wouldn't be time enough to do everything I'd want!

Of course I would want to be a veterinarian. Who wouldn't?! lol

Would love to have my own dairy, milking a small herd of Jersey cows ...

Can I do that while moonlighting as an art historian?!

Of course, to pay the bills, I'd also have to be an architect or interior designer ...

Or maybe I could just go back to building rustic furniture. Hmmmm!

And, of course, I love my current job, and it suits me very well ... so I guess I'm lucky in that regard, and shouldn't complain too much, eh?!

And I'm lucky that DBF says he will be supportive of whatever I choose to do after we are married. The job I'm looking at right now (and very excited about!) might involve being on the road a bit, so I was very grateful to hear that he would be OK with that! :)

20. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I always wanted to be a surgeon (or maybe a pathologist) but at my age (34) I'm too old and my children would fall by the wayside...so that isn't happening.

I'd like to be an artist. I might settle for graphic design, though. I've already sold and exhibited some of my work, so is isn't as unlikely as it sounds. I think it owuld be so fun to design fabrics!!