Ladies topic: Ovarian cysts

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by pickapeppa, Nov 19, 2006.

1. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of having one of my ovaries removed. I've been getting cysts on it for over ten years now. They rupture, and it hurts. It always happens on the same side.

I went on birth control for several months to stop the process and then went off. They were better for a year and are now coming back regularly. Not to mention, after going off it, I've had the worst PMS of my life. It totally upset my bodies hormonal balance.

Because of my age, and battles I'm having over smoking/quitting, I think it might be time to consider a permanent solution for this one.

Any advice/comments/similar experiences?

2. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I have had problems with Ovarian cysts since I was in my late teens. I can count on having 2 or so a year burst. They are horribly painful, and I have gotten where I know what they are when they go so I don't think I 'm dying and go to the doctor anymore. I don't have any advice really just alot of sympathy for you. I know how bad they hurt. And your situation must be extreme to consider removing the ovary. I hope all goes well for you.

3. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I found when I went off birth control it actually made them MUCH worse for about a year. After that they kind of tapered off. Granted, I'm still in my early twenties...but the hormone roller-coaster of going on and coming off birth control, followed by my body restabilising itself helped me. (Said my doctor.)

I hope you find an answer for your situation, it's not a fun thing to go through.

Kayleigh

4. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I wouldn't exactly consider it extreme. But it is bothersome and painful. And it worries me that they're always on the same side. It makes me think there might be something more sinister going on in that ovary.

Or do they always affect the same side?

5. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I have had them for years. First time I had one burst I went to the ER as I was in such pain, I had no idea what was happening to me. I am not one to rush to the ER, I can't remember any other time in my adult life when I went to the ER actually. They can be horrible. Now I just pop a couple of percocet when I have one that is bursting and lie down for a few hours till its over. This happens 3 or 4 times a year. I too have considered having my ovaries removed. I am going to talk to my doctor about it next time I go see her. Let us know how it goes....

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I feel for you gals. I'm plagued with them too. The first time I had a really big one burst, the pain was enough to knock me out cold, and I ended up in the emergency room. Pickapeppa, it's interesting to hear you mention the hormone imbalence. My doctor never said anything about cysts effecting hormones, but I KNOW mine have been out of whack for awhile now. Hormone imbalence really does negatively effect your health in so many ways. Let us know if you come up with any solutions. Honestly, I'm done using my reproductive system. I wish the who darn thing would just vanish into thin air sometimes!

7. lilmommajnn

lilmommajnn Well-Known Member

I had a complete hysterectomy back in March. Before that, I had cysts fairly often. Since then, I still do have the same pain in the same place occassionally, even though I no longer have ovaries. I also have what feel like premenstrual cramps. The only explanation I have been given is that my body did it for so long that it's more or less a habit to feel like that at certain times of the month. It may not happen for everyone (I don't know).....just my own experience.

8. CrisT

CrisT Active Member

I am so glad you guys brought up this topic. We are going through this now with my son's girlfriend. They told her the cyst is the size of a golfball. What size do they need to be before they are removed. She is in awful pain and they gave her percoset. They put her on birthcontrol last week, but the pain is still the same. Can anyone tell me why the pain seems to get so much worse after she eats something. Thanks for any info.... Cris

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I am not sure about cysts, but I have endometriosis which causes inflammation all over the place. So when I eat things shift inside and can cause more pressure on the already inflamed area. I also dread going to the bathroom. It hurts to hold it, but then it hurts worse as everything shifts as my bladder empties - OUCH!

It gets very bad when I ovulate - can't hardly walk without pain relievers!

kids

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My neighbor had a very large cyst (not sure how many cm's but it was really big) removed, and something happened during surgery that caused them to have to take the entire ovary. I'll have to ask her if it was due to the size of the cyst, or if there were other complications. I hope your son's girlfriend can find some relief soon! I don't know what the food would do, unless it has something to do with having the organs in the digestive system putting more pressure on the reproductive system while they are full of food. Poor baby. :Bawling: